Assistant Gardener (Parks)
Start Date: March 2, 2020 Compensation: $20.00/hr.
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
The Assistant Gardener assists one of NYRP’s Park
Zone Supervisors in the general maintenance of parkland in Northern Manhattan, including Sherman Creek Park, Highbridge Park, and the Harlem River Greenway. The
Assistant Gardener will work in a wide variety of landscapes, with opportunities to focus on horticulture, groundskeeping, or forest stewardship. The Assistant Gardener will join an experienced operations team that works toward a more equitable and sustainable urban landscape, through park maintenance, restoration, and public engagement. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong work ethic, an interest in ecological management practices, comfort interacting with the public and enthusiasm for NYRP’s mission.
- Lawn and garden maintenance
- Plant Installation;
- Clearing and edging paths;
- Invasive plant management;
- Litter removal;
- Cleaning and maintenance of park infrastructure including restrooms;
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous manner;
- Lead groups of volunteers;
- Demonstrate efficiencies in time management and project completion;
- Assist in executing greening projects throughout the city.
- Experience in one of the following fields: horticulture, groundskeeping, landscaping or environmental restoration;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions;
- Ability to lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations.
Start date: March 2, 2020
End Date: October 30, 2020
Schedule: 8:00 am-4:00 pm, with 1-2 seasonal late shifts of 10:00am-6:00pm and 12:00pm-8:00pm Tuesday through Saturday or Sunday through Thursday.
Application: Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, NY, NY 10001.
NYRP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees
New York Restoration Project