Assistant Gardener (Seasonal)
Be part of the driving force that sustains Prospect Park, Brooklyn’s Flagship Park. Founded in 1987, Prospect Park Alliance is the non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park, “Brooklyn’s Backyard,” in partnership with the City. The Alliance provides critical staff and resources that keep the Park green and vibrant for the diverse communities that call Brooklyn home.
The Prospect Park Alliance seeks a Seasonal Assistant Gardener to collaborate with our Landscape Management Operations department. The Assistant Gardener will, under the direction of the Horticulture Supervisor, be responsible for weeding, watering, and planting in the horticultural areas in the Park.
- Weeding, mulching, pruning, and general plant care
- Planting trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants
- Irrigation installation, maintenance and hand watering of new plantings
- Load and unloading plant material onto and from transportation vehicles
- Trash and debris removal, fence repair and installation
- Lawn installation, over-seeding, and care
- Weed whacking and mowing
- Interacting with Park patrons and Volunteers in a professional and courteous manner
- Two (2) or more years of horticulture or landscaping experience
- Degree or certificate in Horticulture preferred
- Experienced with mowers, string trimmers, blowers, etc.
- Strong plant and weed identification, and/or desire to learn
- Positive, self-motivated, and possessing a strong work ethic
- Punctual with excellent attendance
- Ability to lift 50lbs on a regular basis
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to do all the work required of the position
- Valid New York Driver’s License
The schedule is 32 hours per week, but occasional hours outside of this for special events. This is a seasonal position; April through September.
How to Apply:
- Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
- Please, no phone calls. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview.
The Alliance is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or if you’re parenting the next generation, we firmly believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be their most authentic self.