Children’s Garden Instructor
QBG’s Gardening Programs for Kids bring together youngsters ages 2 to 14 from around New York City to enjoy seasonal, hands-on learning and gardening experiences year-round. Our young gardeners explore concepts of ecological balance, sustainability, and conservation as they learn how to prepare soil, select seeds and plants, and care for and later harvest their own vegetables, flowers, and herbs that they turn into nutritious and delicious snacks in the classroom. We explore these concepts at age-appropriate levels throughout each season. We strive to create an immersive experience in all its programs- a blend of structured and freeform exploration designed to provide children the supports they need to express their natural curiosity.
Children’s Garden Instructors are responsible for all aspects of the program including preparing materials, teaching the various thematic workshops, oversight of general safety of children, and breakdown each day.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Working with children and facilitating lessons during programming
- Creating thematic activities and leading children on exploration throughout QBG’s 39- acres
- Overseeing overall safety and discipline of a group of children
- Assisting with creation and implementation of environmental and nature-based education curriculum as needed
- Supervising, mentoring, and teaching high school-level and above interns
- Planting, preparation, and maintenance of the Children’s Garden
Ideal candidates will:
- Have ample experience working with and teaching children, specifically with 4-6 year olds. Be able to command and maintain the attention of a group of young children, while creating a welcoming, inclusive, and fun environment.
- Be a minimum of sophomore in college, pursuing studies in education, botany, environmental studies or related field or has studied one of these fields
- Have experience supervising, teaching, and motivating interns and volunteers
- Be knowledgeable of basic small-scale vegetable gardening
- Be an enthusiastic and energetic leader in a fast-paced environment
- Have excellent communication and organizational abilities
- Spring Children’s Garden: eight Saturdays from April through June
- Potential to continue with summer program, fall program, or other educational programs.
By using the link provided will also let us know you came to us through Metro Hort.