Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) seeks a Communications Coordinator to expand our reach toward completion and long-term stewardship of the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway as a critical connector to a greener, stronger, healthier Brooklyn. The Coordinator will create and disseminate compelling content about BGI’s efforts and within the larger context of our work, and be a public representative of the organization to a variety of internal and external partners and stakeholders.
About Brooklyn Greenway Initiative
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to the development, establishment and long-term stewardship of the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway – a 26-mile protected and landscaped pedestrian and cyclist route that, when complete, will connect Brooklyn’s storied and iconic waterfront, parks and open space, commercial and cultural corridors, and new tech and innovation hubs for 2.65 million Brooklyn residents, over 1.1 million employees in Brooklyn, and 15 million annual visitors from across the City and around the world. Since its founding in 2004, BGI has channeled more than $218 million in public and private investment toward implementation of the Greenway, leveraged public and private investment of $2.38 million toward the creation of the Naval Cemetery Landscape as a new park-like space adjacent to the Greenway, and conceptualized or supported the development of other open spaces and public amenities along the Greenway. Approximately 18 miles of completed Greenway are currently in use, four segments are currently in construction, and two additional segments will break ground later in 2019 to be completed in 2021, leaving only a few remaining gaps to be connected.
The Coordinator will report directly to the Executive Director and collaborate with other team members (Staff and Board) focused on marketing, communications, public outreach, and external affairs. Specifically, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for 3 primary areas of work:
Content Creation and Messaging
- Write and create content for diverse audiences for delivery via multiple print and digital platforms
- Develop photographic, video, and other media assets to effectively tell the story of BGI and the Greenway to the broadest audience
- Write press releases, story pitches, and other materials to garner earned media
- Support building an annual Communications Plan to guide messaging and outreach opportunities throughout each year
Content Production and Marketing
- Coordinate and effectuate the production of new media tools and dissemination of content using various BGI owned and external communications tools, including the BGI Website, eNewsletter, annual report, social media, event/program listing sites, press/publications, and other platforms
- Develop presentations and other materials for a variety of meetings, events, and campaigns
- Coordinate relationships with external graphic designers, printers, press, and other partners
- Contribute to shaping a consistent visual brand and communications style for BGI
- Help identify new resources and develop new relationships that will support BGI’s desired expansion of reach and engagement with our audiences
- Develop and cultivate relationships with press, external partners, and peers in related organizations, acting as a representative of BGI to external contacts in meetings, events, and other engagements
- Maintain a directory of press, production and media partners, content creators and others
- Support correspondence with external relations
As part of a small team, the Communications Coordinator will also support organizational operations overall, including administrative, program/event, and other related tasks.
This job might be for you if…
- you’re a motivated, self-starting, entrepreneurial person who’s hungry to shape the story of BGI and the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway, and urban greenways more broadly
- you’re a skilled communicator and keep your cool even in challenging situations
- you’re tech saavy and skilled with a variety of digital production tools and platforms [basic understanding of HTML preferred]
- you’re a strong writer and creative who’s organized, exhibits attention to detail, and has a demonstrated track record of delivering projects on time
- you have a degree and 2-5 years’ experience in a marketing, communications, or similar, preferably in a nonprofit environment, and are hungry to shape your professional growth with BGI over the next 2-5 years
- you’re a team player who’s resourceful and finds ways to get things done
- you’re interested in and follow trends in multi-modal transportation, urban planning, public realm, greening, and waterfront access and development from local to international level
- you’re able to represent BGI at events and meetings on evenings and weekends throughout Brooklyn and NYC
- you’re able to lift up to 50 lbs. and ideally have a valid NYS Driver License to support BGI events
Schedule and Salary Details
The Communications Coordinator is a full-time, exempt, salaried position.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm, with flexibility for occasional evening and weekend meetings, events, and other work-related engagements
Compensation: $45,000 – $50,000, commensurate with experience
To apply for this position, please submit your letter of interest, résumé, and references by April 30, 2019 to Terri Carta, Executive Director, at email@example.com with Communications Coordinator in the subject line. We will contact only those individuals whose applications are being considered. No phone calls, please.
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.