Crew Leader & Educator (Seasonal)
The Gowanus Canal Conservancy (GCC) is a community-based non-profit organization that serves as the environmental steward for the Gowanus Canal Watershed in Brooklyn, NY.
GCC is looking for a skilled and dedicated Crew Leader & Educator to perform public green space maintenance and lead others in outdoor stewardship work, including youth job training and service-learning programs.
Maintenance - GCC maintains multiple sites through out the Gowanus neighborhood. The Crew Leader & Educator will have regular maintenance and gardening responsibilities in sites maintained by GCC.
Youth Job Training - Gowanus Green Team is a spring and summer green job training program that introduces high school apprentices to environmental careers in green infrastructure, urban conservation, and design. Green Team spends the majority of their time outdoors, performing physical work in green spaces in the Gowanus neighborhood including bioswales, street trees, gardens, and GCC’s native plant nursery. In addition, the team participates in classroom learning, field training, and goes on field trips to learn about parks and restoration areas around NYC.
Youth Service Learning - School Clean & Green is a service-learning program that engages K-12 students in outdoor stewardship activities. In 90 minute sessions in spring and fall, students in grades K-12 propagate plants in GCC’s native plant nursery or care for street trees and bioswales. Students are introduced to the Gowanus Canal, its polluted history, and steps to making a healthier ecosystem through stewardship and volunteerism. The stewardship activity includes supplemental hands-on lessons focused on seeds, plants, water or soil.
The ideal candidate is passionate about gardening, has interest in and knowledge about NYC native plants and green infrastructure, and can lead and inspire volunteers and students in the field.
• Demonstrated leadership experience
• Gardening experience
• Knowledge of NYC native plants, common weeds and green infrastructure
• Experience working with youth (K-12) and a passion for cultivating environmental stewardship
• Ability to work both independently and with a team
• Excellent time management, communication, and organization skills
• Interest and ability to work outdoors in an urban environment in all weather conditions
• Willingness to travel by public transportation to work sites in Gowanus and around the city
• Driver’s license and willingness to drive the GCC van (preferred, not required)
Gardening & Maintenance:
• Keep green spaces healthy, functional, and beautiful. Responsibilities include: Removal of litter; Weeding, Pruning, Deadheading, Planting; Pest management; Watering new plantings using fire hydrant with hose attachment
Youth Job Training:
• Field Leadership - Act as the point person in the field, coordinating stewardship work, leading and instructing crew members, organizing tools, tracking attendance, managing logistics, and ensuring safety. Lead students & volunteers in maintenance tasks.
• Coordination and Planning - Help with recruitment and hiring of Green Team apprentices in March and April. Coordinate with field work partners and plan Green Team trips and events. Create weekly agendas for classroom and field sessions.
Youth Service Learning:
• Field Leadership - Serve as the lead instructor for school groups with instructional/field support from at least two other staff; Lead site prep and clean up
• Coordination and Planning - Plan lessons and prep materials; manage stewardship activities and lessons for visiting school groups (20-35 students)
• Tuesday-Saturday, March 1st to November 15th, with possibility to become a permanent position
• Pay rate commensurate with experience
To Apply Please send cover letter and CV to email@example.com