Director of Ecological Design
Title: Director of Ecological Design
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York
City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem. We are an Equal
Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
Reporting to the Chief of FHNR, with direction from the Assistant Commissioner, manage a staff of landscape architects, environmental and civil engineers and others to oversee
design of ecological restoration and green infrastructure practices citywide, including the design and supervision of contracts for the construction and
retrofitting of parkland for stormwater capture (raingardens, permeable pavement, sub-surface storage, etc.)
Provide review and quality control for FNHR to ensure all green infrastructure and ecological restoration designs and construction documents are developed in accordance with
agency standards and regulatory permit requirements.
Oversee review of other agency designs including Department of Transportation (DOT), Department of Design and Construction (DDC), Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), Economic Development Corporation (EDC) and other agencies and consultants to assess opportunities for green infrastructure and ecological restoration.
Work closely with DEP and other Parks divisions to create and execute Green Infrastructure in parks across the city, including the design, construction, maintenance and monitoring
of bio-retention systems and retro-fitted parkland. Work with borough staff and interagency partners to develop green infrastructure design and maintenance
solutions to construction and maintenance challenges.
Pursue grant and other funding to expand green infrastructure and other ecological restoration planning, design, implementation and assessment projects. Maintain partnerships
with research organizations studying green infrastructure and other ecologicalrestoration issues relevant to Parks.
Oversee staff in the administration of contract budgets, production of construction reports, review and approval of payment requisitions and monitoring of contractors’ adherence
to agency plans and specifications.
Assist in planning staff training programs and perform staff evaluations.
Represent the agency and division at meetings, hearings, conferences and other venues.
A valid New York State Registration
as a Landscape Architect, and either:
1. A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies
recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by theCouncil for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of
full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
- Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
- Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
- To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II and III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
- This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- 1. Five years of experience in a supervisory capacity in engineering, landscape architecture, horticulture,
- arboriculture or other related areas.
- 2. Excellent leadership, writing and oral communication skills.
- 3. Strong horticultural and arboricultural knowledge and experience with design and construction.
- 4. Familiarity with urban landscapes (in particular New York City) and Northeast plants and expertise in
- stormwater capture technology.
- 5. Fluency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, CAD and ArcGIS.
- 6. Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage a wide range of projects.
- 7. Proven track record of goal-based accomplishments.
- 8. A valid New York State driver license.
$95K - $110K plus excellent benefits
For external applicants, please apply through
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 394018
For details about NYC
NYC Parks & Recreation