Director of Grounds and Operations
Socrates Sculpture Park, an internationally renowned contemporary arts organization and public park located in Long Island City, Queens, is seeking a Director of Grounds and Operations. Socrates Sculpture Park is a non-profit organization that has a license agreement with the NYC Dept. of Parks and Recreation to program, operate, and maintain a New York City park. See http://socratessculpturepark.org/ for a description of the Park.
The Director of Grounds and Operations is a full-time* position that leads all aspects of gardening, grounds-keeping, and maintenance in the Park. The position is an integral part of Socrates’ small but dynamic team, and reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Oversee overall operations and maintenance of a five-acre waterfront park, with primary focus on horticultural and day-to-day functional activities.
- Plan and procure seasonal gardens, and collaborate on the design and maintenance of new planting areas throughout the Park.
- Hire, train, and supervise seasonal grounds crew as part-time employees of Socrates.
- Supervise and manage part-time employees for daily closing and opening of the Park.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the Park, including proper trash removal and snow removal, as well as management of bathroom facilities.
- Manage purchasing, operation, and maintenance of park equipment and supplies.
- Manage and work with community partners related to the grounds, including plant donations, corporate clean-ups, composting, and Earth Day educational programming.
- Coordinate with Socrates Director of Programs and Studio Manager on park activities.
- Act as liaison with NYC Parks Dept, as it relates to park operation and maintenance.
- Act as ambassador for Socrates Sculpture Park, answering questions from visitors on horticulture, history, programming, etc.
- Provide long-term strategic input on park improvements and master landscaping.
- This position requires superior organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to manage and lead others and work independently.
- Experience in landscaping with horticultural knowledge in public park or similar setting.
- Ability to lift/move up to 50 lbs., and perform physical labor in all weather conditions.
- Basic knowledge of tools and outdoor equipment operation and maintenance.
- Have valid driver’s license.
Socrates Sculpture Park is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Park is committed to building a culturally diverse community and strongly encourages applications from candidates from underrepresented communities.
*Socrates offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes full health coverage. The Director of Grounds and Operations is intended as full-time, year-long position; however, a 9-month schedule may be accommodated.
Please submit: cover letter, resume, salary requirements range, and three references to email@example.com.
No phone calls, please. Position will remain open until filled.