Director of Programs
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $70,000 - $80,000
The Bronx River Alliance serves as a coordinated voice for the river and works with 100+ partners—including NYC Parks—to protect, improve and restore the river so that it is a healthy resource for the communities through which the river flows. The Bronx River Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. People of all identities are encouraged to apply.
Position Overview: The Director of Programs leads the Alliance’s programs (Ecological Restoration and Management, Education, Greenway, Outreach, and Recreation) heading up a dynamic, diverse and talented team to build, fund and implement an innovative slate of river-related programs focused on environmental justice to:
- Achieve the Alliance’s mission: bronxriver.org/about
- Develop an engaged network of partners, community leaders and volunteers to lead this work
- Work with local education-sector partners to connect youth in EJ communities to research and career opportunities in the environmental sector.
- Open up opportunities for youth in EJ communities in the watershed to research and career opportunities in the environmental sector
- Develop the Bronx River Greenway as a continuous network of parks and trails along the river
- Center diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility (DEIA); community leadership; and environmental justice
- Occasional night and weekend work is required
- The Alliance works in with partnership with NYC Parks and community stakeholders
- Lower Westchester and Bronx residency preferred
- This position reports to the Executive Director
- The Alliance offers medical, dental and vision insurance; SIMPLE IRA with up to 3% match, pre-tax FSA and transit benefits; 13 Paid Holidays; and paid vacation, sick, and personal days
- The reporting location is Bronx River House, located at 1490 Sheridan Boulevard. Alliance employees are currently on a staggered in-office schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Director of Programs will sustain and grow a talented team of Program Coordinators and Managers who offer high-quality programs to Bronx River communities. This person will also serve on the Alliance leadership team to ensure effective administration, successful fundraising and financial management, and internal and external communications.
Develop and manage river-related programs:
- With Program Managers and other stakeholders, develop annual program plans; track progress toward goals, maintain records of annual and long-term program metrics
- With Program Managers, develop annual expense projections; tracking spending
- Provide supportive, consistent, and effective mentorship and management of program staff and ensure effective coordination between programs
- Ensure safety of staff and public and comply with Alliance and NYC Parks policies and procedures
- Assist in management of River House as a welcoming hub for river-related programs
- Build partnerships and coalitions in order to achieve program goals. Represent Bronx River Alliance in various contexts (NYC Parks, regional and citywide partnerships and coalitions, conferences, panels, etc.)
- Ensure internal communication and coordination; keep E.D. up-to-date on program activities; serve on staff leadership team; report to board of directors, as needed.
- Coordinate and communicate with NYC Parks
- Work with Communications Team to ensure regular and compelling external communications
- Proactively address and solve problems working with leadership team
Assist in raising funds to support Bronx River programs and operations:
- Develop ideas and provide necessary details for proposals, execute and manage contracts and/or grant agreements, track progress and provide metrics and other details for grant reports
- Balance free community programming with earned revenue from canoe trips, educational programs, corporate volunteer events
- Assist in building a successful membership program, collaborating with the Development Team
- Center diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, community leadership, and environmental justice
- Perform related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor
- Passion for the mission, vision and values of the Bronx River Alliance
- Work experience requirements:
- 10 years relevant professional experience, 5 of which must include progressively responsible supervisory experience. Non-profit management experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field may substitute for three years professional experience
- Masters degree in related field may substitute for one year of managerial experience
- Demonstrated experience in motivating, inspiring, mentoring and building an effective team.
- Deep knowledge of the environmental justice issues facing Bronx River watershed communities
- Demonstrated success in working in mission-driven non-profit organizations and coordinating with large bureaucracies (public agencies, preferred).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to develop and edit proposals, reports, and promotional materials.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing circumstances, challenges and opportunities
- Demonstrated effective use of systems (G Suite, CRM, emerging technologies)
- Curiosity, quick learner, particularly regarding river-related topics
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies (watershed communities, partner organizations, regional coalitions, NYC Parks)
- Valid NY State drivers license highly preferred (or commitment to obtain one within 6 months)
The Bronx River Alliance is committed to practicing and upholding the values of inclusion, collaboration, environmental justice, responsiveness, communication, ecological restoration, innovation, respect, integrity, and public access. We value the full range of human diversity and seek to involve diverse populations in our staff, board, volunteers, and partners. Read our full values statement at bronxriver.org/about/values. Read our Commitment to Environmental Justice at bronxriver.org/about/commitment-to-environmental-justice
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by October 27, 2021.
Bronx River Alliance