Environmental Educator and Intern Program Coordinator
Solar One, a nonprofit leader in New York City on the cutting edge of sustainability programming, is seeking a per-diem environmental educator to deliver programming for students and volunteers as part of our Stuyvesant Cove Park Permaculture Parks program.
Planted with native plants and organically managed as a productive engineered wilderness, our 2 acre waterfront permaculture gardens serve as a living symbol of the potential for urban ecological restoration and renewal. Stuy Cove Park is an all-native plant food forest, and the only NYC park that encourages foraging of wild foods. We also have a permaculture plant nursery, hold wild foods events, and sell small quantities of wild edibles to restaurants.
Since 2004, Solar One’s dedicated park staff have educated urban residents about the complex interdependencies of native plants, wildlife, and people through children’s programs, park tours, field trips, volunteer days, professional development workshops, and other interactive opportunities.
Overview of Position:
Solar One is seeking an environmental educator and intern program coordinator who is available to deliver on-site programs for in Manhattan on a part-time/as-needed basis from May 2019 - September 2019. Additionally, the educator will work with interns, community members, and volunteer groups to accomplish park garden and maintenance tasks. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Deliver high quality and rigorous on-site programs to K-12 NYC school students during the school year and camp groups in the summer. Educators are responsible for all lesson materials prep and delivery.
- Teach and work with individuals and groups of volunteers to accomplish all aspects of maintaining and improving a productive urban public wilderness.
- Collaborate with the education and parks teams on program and curriculum design.
- Track and record programs delivered.
- Assist to supervise and mentor high school and college interns.
- Under the supervision of the park manager, coordinate day-to-day program functions in staffing the Permaculture Play Garden and accomplishing garden and park tasks.
- Help track attendance and evaluate program impact, outcomes and participants’ progress.
- Bachelor’s degree required - natural science, education, and art preferred;
- 1-2 years of education experience working directly with students;
- Knowledge and/or interest, and capacity to teach in areas of art practice, urban agriculture, permaculture, restoration agriculture, agroecology, soil science, restoration ecology, horticulture, climate change, food systems, environmental justice, indigenous peoples history and culture, and urban planning;
- The ideal candidate will have a strong background in garden-based instruction, outdoor education, and youth development.
- Experience in classroom/group management skills; demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations including youth and adults; adept at handling groups outdoors.
- Agricultural/gardening/horticultural experience a plus.
- Willingness to travel to deliver occasional off-site programs in all 5 boroughs (using public transit, driving is not required for this position);
- Ability to be self-directed, work collaboratively, and be flexible;
- Ability to perform manual labor and work outdoors in a physically demanding environment;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including public speaking skills;
- Computer skills, including Google sheets; graphic design/art skills desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or fingers to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Solar One is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. We are committed to diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, and disability status. EOE/AA/Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Please email cover letter and resume to Emily Curtis-Murphy at email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Position will remain open until filled. Salary commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Part-time
Education: Bachelor’s (Preferred)