Estate Head Gardener
Start Date: Immediate Start
Reporting to the Estate Owner and supporting the Estate Property Manager as a full-time employee, the Estate Head Gardener will be responsible for coordinating all garden activities, including, but not limited to the following:
- Plant and weed identification; maintenance of perennials, grasses, vines, shrubs and trees; pest identification and management; training, pruning and deadheading;
- Maintenance and supervision of installation of all plant material, including trees;
- Communication with and supervision of all landscape sub-contractors and design professionals;
- Implementing a plan to build all necessary garden infrastructure, including set up of a work station, garden shed, compost pile, brush pile, mulch pile, and all other necessary materials, tools and garden work-related areas;
- Communicate and meet as needed with the Estate Owner and Estate Property Manager to receive and provide updates, discuss design, planting, budgeting and process;
- Maintenance of all garden related tools, machinery, and work spaces. Monitoring of irrigation systems throughout the property;
- Operate tools including hand pruners, rakes, shovels, loppers, and weed whacker.
- Valid driver’s license and experience driving vans/trucks;
- An education background in arboriculture, forestry, horticulture, plant sciences, landscape management, or a related field is encouraged; or 5+ years’ gardening experience;
- Ability to perform strenuous manual labor and work in all weather conditions and seasons;
- Detail-oriented, observant, organized.
The Estate Head Gardener will be expected to exhibit high professional standards in communication with all professionals; subcontractors and staff. The right candidate will be organized, well-spoken and knowledgeable.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title noted in the subject line. The position begins immediately. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes comprehensive benefits.
Southern Connecticut Estate