Reeves-Reed Arboretum, a public arboretum and historic former estate located in Summit, New Jersey, with landscapes designed by Calvert Vaux, Ellen Biddle Shipman, and Carl Pilat, seeks an experienced gardener to work approximately 20 hours per week from May through October, 2019. Duties include watering, deadheading, cleanup, and routine maintenance in the greenhouse, beds, and other planted areas. Interaction with visitors is encouraged (to the extent that it does not interfere with other duties), and candidates who can effectively answer inquiries and represent the Arboretum in a friendly and engaging manner will be given special consideration. Candidates should have experience with ornamental plants used in Northeast gardens, should be familiar with basic gardening techniques, and will be expected to work outside in all weather conditions. Candidates should also be able to lift 50 lbs. and to stay on their feet for extended periods.
- Basic knowledge of plant material and horticulture techniques. Horticultural education and/or certification will help demonstrate this basic knowledge.
- The ability to safely operate hand tools and power equipment, including line trimmers and backpack blowers.
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor (lift 50lbs) in all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work with volunteers and interact with public
- Strong communication skills
- Related abilities like carpentry, masonry, or small engine mechanic skills are a plus.
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be 18 or older
HOURS and COMPENSATION:
- This is a temporary part-time position.
- 20 hours per week; some weekend days required
Email a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org