An estate garden in Northern Westchester, with extensive plant collections and a variety of garden areas is seeking an experienced horticulturist.
The Horticulturist, reporting to the Director of Horticulture, will participate in all aspects of plant health care throughout the property with a particular focus on maintaining understory trees and shrubs, perennial beds, and developing new garden areas. A qualified candidate must possess enthusiasm for plants and gardens, and energy to accomplish large-scale projects. The position is full time, seasonal, with the potential for year round employment.
- Maintain all aspects of intensely cultivated and well-established garden areas —planting, dividing, weeding, mulching, pruning, deadheading, etc. using best horticultural practices
- Renovate older beds including soil amendments and plant division
- Record plant acquisitions, transplants and de-accessioned material; assist in the maintenance of plant labels throughout the garden
- Fine prune ornamental woody plant collections, as directed
- Monitor for pests and disease
- Monitor irrigation system and report any problems
- Hand water newly planted trees and shrubs
- Work in conjunction with other gardeners on large projects throughout the property
- Maintain neat and orderly work space, and personal appearance
- Degree or certification in horticulture or related field preferred and a minimum of 3 years, hands-on, fine gardening experience
- Must possess a strong knowledge of plant identification, plant growth and cultural requirements
- Ability to recognize pests and disease, and implement IPM strategies
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to manage time efficiently and execute tasks independently
- Familiar with Microsoft Office
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and to perform strenuous labor in all weather conditions
- Ability to be flexible in a fast paced and dynamic environment where priorities shift due to variables like weather, scheduling and events
Competitive salary and benefits package offered, commensurate with experience.
Those passionate about gardening and plants, interested in working in an extraordinary space and who are ready to keep the pace with a dedicated and knowledgeable staff as they meet the high standards of the property should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Only those candidates being considered for the position will be contacted.