POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Farm Manager
LOCATION: Yorktown Heights, NY
Hilltop Hanover Farm & Environmental Center is a Westchester County-owned farm and educational center located on 60 acres in Yorktown Heights, NY. We operate a 6-acre sustainable farm, growing vegetables for a market-style CSA, on-site farm stand, and wholesale clients. The farm hosts educational classes and school groups and is open to the public free of charge. Our mission is to provide our community with healthy produce and to teach others to do the same. In additional to produce operation, our demonstration farm features: pasture-based rotational grazing, edible teaching gardens, pollinator gardens, and a small native plant nursery.
Supervised by the Farm Director, the Farm Manager is responsible for the management, planning and oversight of our sustainable vegetable farm, which includes the production of vegetables, herbs, and flowers on 3-8 acres. This is a production oriented position, but because we are open to the public and regularly host school programs and events, the successful candidate will also be flexible in scheduling daily tasks to accommodate other farm programs. We are seeking motivated applicants with a good work ethic and excellent communication skills.
- Supervise, plan, schedule, and participate in all aspects of our produce operation: seeding; greenhouse management; cultivation and field prep; transplanting; weed and pest management; harvesting, washing, and marketing crops
- Develop crop production plans for greenhouse, high tunnel, and field to cultivate a diverse revenue stream through our CSA, retail farm stand, wholesale, and U-Pick
- Create field crew schedules; monitor and be accountable for the progress of all field work
- Train and work alongside the farm crew as needed to ensure timely completion of daily tasks
- Manage all aspects of farm record-keeping, including harvest records, sales, and farm expenses
- Order materials and supplies; maintain inventory and keep records of same
- Use mechanized farm equipment; recommend new implements and/or methods to increase productivity and quality of produce
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized work environment
- A minimum of 3 years of experience farming for commercial markets on 4 acres or more
- Farm management experience or 2-4 years of supervisory farm work
- Experience planning and managing work schedules; experience training staff
- Demonstrated knowledge of organic farming practices including crop rotation, cover cropping, composting, IPM, and soil fertility management
- Ability to safely operate tractors and other farm equipment
- Comfortable working with databases or farm-planning software, POS retail/inventory management software, and email marketing apps
- Ability to lead and work under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Comfortably able to lift 50lbs
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience with retail markets and farm marketing is a plus; we are looking to grow our on-site farm stand
- Proficiency in season extension practices
- Livestock experience desired but not required
- Demonstrated ability to stay informed of current research and/or new methods in sustainable agriculture
- Experience with natural lands management
- Experience with native plant production
Schedule & Compensation
The Farm Manager is expected to work 40 to 45 hours a week during the growing season, with reduced weekly hours in winter. Our preference is for the Farm Manager to keep a Tuesday-Saturday schedule while our farm stand is open (late April through Thanksgiving). Compensation is commensurate with experience; anticipated starting range is $42,000-55,000. We are unable to provide housing at this time.
To apply, please email a letter of interest, resume, and a list of 3 references to email@example.com. Include ‘Farm Manager’ in the subject line. More information about our farm is available at hilltophanoverfarm.org.
Hilltop Hanover Farm & Environmental Center
Website: Apply Online