Forest Trails Crew
Location: Forest & highland park, queens, ny
Salary: $20 per hour (28 hours per week)
(2) seasonal postions: June 1 – august 14
Work location: Oak Ridge, One Forest Park, Woodhaven, NY
The Forest Park Trust Inc. and the Forest & Highland Park Administration, a unit of NYC Parks, work together to oversee the parks operations, maintenance, capital restoration and special events. Forest Park is the third largest park in Queens. Its 543 acres feature sports fields, a track, playgrounds, golf, gardens, a skate park, and large areas of forest.
Under the direction of the Landscape Manager and City-Wide Trails Team:
- identify forest plant species and control invasive plants
- maintain hiking trails (corridor clearing, trail closures, mulching and erosion control)
- care for the Forest Park Pine Grove
- work with staff gardeners on formal garden when needed
- supervise volunteers on special projects
- assist in preparing and implementing work plans and service projects
- entering field work information into web-based database.
This work may include the following: operating cars, trucks, and other types of motorized vehicles, use of 2 cycle equipment such as hedge-trimmers and chainsaws, cutting and carrying woody debris, and maintaining planting sites.
- A baccalaureate degree or certificate or working towards a degree in forestry, natural resource management, or related field and/or experience working on trails and forest restoration projects.
- Ability to work with and motivate volunteers.
- Knowledge of Eastern New York Flora and non - native invasive species.
- Familiar working with landscape hand and power tools. Chainsaw certification a plus.
- Willing to work some weekend days, in inclement weather and able to safely lift 50 lbs.
- Valid New York State driver license.
To Apply, Send Cover Letter & Resume to: Josephine Scalia, Landscape Manager
Oak Ridge/One Forest Park Woodhaven, NY 11421 FAX: 718 235-4265
The Forest Park Trust, Inc