Founded in 1965, Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades, in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. Its mission is to celebrate the artistry and legacy of its gardens and landscapes, to preserve its magnificent views, and to explore human connections to the natural world through programs in horticulture, education and the arts. For more information about Wave Hill, please visit www.wavehill.org.
The gardens and landscapes include: flower garden, wild garden, aquatic garden, alpine house, herb and dry gardens, tropical house, cactus and succulent house, collections of South African bulbs and other winter-blooming plants, woodlands, significant trees, and extensive displays of summer containers.
Reporting to the Director of Horticulture, and under general supervision of the Assistant Director of Horticulture, the Gardener is required to bring sound horticultural practices to bear in a multitude of gardening situations and related work. It involves hard physical labor throughout the year. The successful candidate will be an experienced gardener trained to maintain and develop gardens and greenhouse collections; this includes planting, cultivating, propagating, watering, fertilizing, pruning, mulching, pest and weed control and lawn maintenance. The Gardener will maintain and enhance the unique landscape of Wave Hill while working within a creative, collaborative department.
- Passion for gardening and desire to work with a diverse collection of hardy and tender plants.
- Minimum three years’ experience of sound horticultural practice
- Familiarity with the operation of power and hand tools
- A valid driver’s license in good standings
- Willingness to work outdoors under all weather conditions
- Ability to work alone and with others in a team-based organization
- Some weekends required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Benefits, Salary and Schedule:
This position is under a collective bargaining agreement.
- Full-time; Non-exempt
- 5 days a week. 35 hours a week
- Salary: $42.146
- Benefits: major medical, dental, vision, paid time off, 401k with a pension plan, and life insurance
Send resume and cover letter in a single PDF document to Louis Bauer, Senior Director of Horticulture at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state Gardener in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. No calls please.
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive environment for all employee.