Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) is a private non-profit cultural institution located on 39 acres of New York City public land in Flushing, New York. The Garden serves approximately 250,000 visitors each year; a visitor survey revealed that over 75% of all visitors speak a language other than English at home. This astounding fact underscores the importance of the Garden’s mission and the challenges and opportunities it faces daily in creating programs, exhibits and landscapes that serve the needs of people living in and visiting one of the most ethnically diverse county in the nation. The Garden has committed itself to addressing the complex and ever-changing needs of its diverse community and to being the place where people, plants and cultures meet.
General Statement of Duties and Responsibilities
Under supervision, does gardening work: performs related work.
Examples of Typical Tasks
- Plants, cultivates, and cares for trees, flowers, plants, shrubs, and other flora. Digs up, balls, burlaps, and transplants trees and shrubs. Digs up and transplants sod. Pots flowers and plants. Propagates plant life.
- Prepares soil and seed beds. Grades, sods, cultivates, weeds, mulches, and mows lawns. Repairs damaged planted areas. As necessary, fertilizes, implements integrated pest management, waters soil, prunes and sprays trees, shrubs, and plants.
- Operates and cares for hand and power gardening tools, equipment, and structures; makes necessary operating adjustments to same; reports need for repairs and replacements.
- As required, keeps simple records, including plant records, inventory and mapping, and makes written reports. May conduct research and provide information for reports, proposals, purchases and text for labels and interpretative signage, among other materials.
- May supervise subordinate employees, including temporary workers, unpaid personnel, instructing them in gardening techniques and in the proper use and care of materials and equipment including greenhouse tasks. Assists with garden and grounds preparations for special events.
- As directed, performs various tasks in connection with cleaning of grounds including snow removal and removal of trash and other obstructions and painting of fixtures and equipment.
- Two (2) years of full-time paid experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: planting, cultivation, and caring for trees, plants, shrubs, and lawns; or
- Thirty credits in gardening, agriculture, or a related field from an accredited college or community college, and one (1) year of experience as described above; or
- A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience.
A gardener must possess:
- A motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of New York at time of appointment and maintain it.
- A Commercial Pesticide Applicator-Category 3-A License issued by the State of New York Department of Environmental Conservation at the time of appointment.
Strength in several of the following is desired:
- Pruning and arborist skills
- Experience and ability to use and perform basic maintenance of chain saw, backhoe/frontloader, chipper, and other botanical garden tools and equipment
- Knowledge of and experience with Integrated Pest Management
- Interest in/knowledge of plant records management (research, identification, labeling, and signage) and collections management software (such as IRIS BG)
- Interest in/knowledge of landscapes that express cultural traditions and environmental stewardship
- Design skills
- Computer skills
- Excellent supervisory and communication skills
- Good physical condition
- This position will be scheduled to work Sunday-Thursday
Direct Lines of Promotion
From: Assistant Gardener
To: Park Supervisor
Supervisor (formerly Foreman) of Gardeners
Gardener Level II
- Hiring Rate: $54,181
- Incumbent Rate: $62,308
Note: Roman type is taken directly from City job description, as this position is represented by DC37. Italics added for information and clarification by Queens Botanical Garden.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter via our applicant portal. No Phone Calls Please.
QBG provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, QBG complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.