The Groundskeeper performs skilled work, with a team of skilled professionals in the daily management and maintenance of Central Park’s grounds, lawns and landscapes. The Groundskeeper reports directly to the Section Supervisor.
Summary of Essential Job Functions common to the management and maintenance of grounds, lawns and landscapes:
- Utilize all tools provided to remove and dispose of trash, organic and inorganic debris on a routine and scheduled basis.
- Lawn maintenance including mowing, string trimming, irrigation, irrigation maintenance and repair, fertilization, aeration, seeding and sod installation. Report on conditions on a daily basis.
- Landscape maintenance including ground based pruning, weeding, mulching, irrigation, irrigation maintenance and repair, planting as directed and fence installation and repair. Report on conditions on a daily basis.
- General maintenance of playgrounds.
- Inspects all grounds, lawns, landscapes and reports any safety issues, defects, malfunctions, vandalism or defacement on a daily basis.
- Seasonal duties including leaf removal and mulching and snow removal and deicing
- Routine maintenance of equipment and tools as directed.
- Vehicle, equipment and tool operation in accordance with all manufacturer recommendations and Central Park Conservancy policies, procedures and protocols.
- Must perform tasks in accordance with Central Park Conservancy policies, procedures and protocols.
- Interacts with Park patrons in a professional manner, including providing accurate and pertinent information regarding Park landmarks, events, rules and regulations.
- Performs other duties as required
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Verifiable experience or a combination of verifiable experience and formal education to demonstrate proficiency in the general management and maintenance of grounds, lawns and landscapes.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Must work effectively with a team or independently and with volunteers and user groups.
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor on a daily basis. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Experience with power equipment commonly used for the maintenance of grounds, lawns and landscapes.
- Schedule that varies to meet the needs of the Park, including weekends, holidays and variable hours.
Establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment is the shared responsibility of this organization and employees at every level. The Conservancy will make every effort to assure a safe environment and be in compliance with federal, state, and local safety regulations. Employees are expected to obey safety rules and to exercise caution in all their work activities. Accordingly, employees should be aware of any hazards, which could cause an injury or accident (e.g., spills, obstacles in walkways, etc.). If an employee discovers a potential dangerous condition, he/she should alert other employees and notify his/her supervisor immediately.
For more information, or to apply for this job, click here.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.