Battery Park City Authority: A City within a City
The Hugh L. Carey Battery Park City Authority is a New York State public benefit corporation whose mission is to plan, create, coordinate, and sustain a balanced community of commercial, residential, retail, and park space within its designated 92-acre site on the lower west side of Manhattan. There is a recognition that, as development of new parcels is completed, the importance of maintenance within the mission will become more significant.
Come Grow with US!
Great Work Culture!
Job Title: Hourly Horticulturist
Job Status: Seasonal
Location: 75 Battery Place, NYC 10280
Salary: $16 - $20 per hour
Additional Info: Flexible Hours/Weekends & Evenings
Under supervision, the Hourly Horticulturist is responsible for assisting in performing all horticulture field operations at locations throughout BPC Parks. This position runs from the spring to the fall.
The list of essential functions is intended to be representative of tasks performed within this classification and is not exhaustive. The Hourly Horticulturist will be expected to perform reasonable duties assigned to them by team leaders and senior staff.
- Assist with horticultural tasks as requested, and use the best horticultural practices to help maintain and beautify BPC Parks
- Assist with organic plant care including awareness and communication of plant health, physiological, and pest-related issues
- Assist in caring for the soil, help make and apply compost, and assist with the organic recycling program
- Remove litter and help maintain the highest appearance standards for BPC Parks
- Under supervision, assist with the safe and effective operation of BPC Parks equipment
- Work independently, effectively, and safely on gardening tasks, including weeding, planting, mowing, edging, watering, and other horticultural tasks as requested
- Work well in teams, follow directions, and positively contribute to shared projects
- Assist with task records and observation reports
- Be available for events and emergencies, including weather-related events; assist with preparation and cleanup, be available for overtime if necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A High School Diploma or GED is required; coursework in horticulture is preferred. A minimum of one (1) year of practical horticultural experience.
Must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Ability to work well in a team but also be self-motivated when working independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and writing skills
Able and willing to work outdoors in all types of weather.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: HR@bpca.ny.gov
Battery Park City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces Diversity in the Workplace.