Position Title: Horticulturist
Reports To: Sharmon Provan, Director of Horticulture
Employee Status: Full-time, Exempt
Organization Mission: The mission of Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens is to inspire meaningful connections among people, plants, and nature through horticulture, education and research.
Overview: Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens is one of the nation’s newest, loveliest, and most dynamic public gardens. While officially opening in 2007, a mere six years later in April of 2013, TripAdvisor named Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens the #1 public garden in the United States. The Department of Horticulture is responsible for installing and maintaining all cultivated garden and growing spaces throughout Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens’ 295+ acres. Our goal is to ensure that the beauty of the gardens and considerate depth of plant material provide a paramount garden experience for every Guest. Beyond this primary focus of providing a beautiful garden experience for every Guest, the Horticulturist will be presented with many opportunities to both share and broaden their experience within the horticulture field and public gardening.
The Horticulturist will be responsible for the following essential functions:
Qualifications for the successful candidate:
This is a five-day/week, on-site, full-time position, beginning in April, 2019; working hours are Monday through Friday, typically from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, with required occasional weekend duties. Employee must be prepared to work in inclement weather.
- Ornamental gardening, including planting, mulching, weeding, staking, dead-heading, pruning, watering, plant and pest identification, and integrated pest management within their assigned garden space, and throughout the entire Gardens as needed
- Selection of plants for the garden space they oversee, including annual plantings and improvements to existing perennial beds
- General maintenance of gardens, horticulture buildings, and equipment, including raking, sweeping, cleaning, sharpening, and repairs as needed
- Assistance with Propagation/Production, including collection, storage, and sowing of seed, cuttings, transplanting, watering, and additional plant care as needed
- Other departmental and/or organizational duties as needed (e.g., light installation/removal for Gardens Aglow, special events, etc.)
- Collaboration with other departments and the community, including teaching classes, speaking to groups, leading specialized tours, and working with student employees, interns, and volunteers
- Must be comfortable interacting with Guests, Staff, Board members, and the community
- Must be educated in horticulture, or a related field, and/or have significant practical experience in horticulture, botany, and/or landscape design/maintenance
- Experience running and maintaining power equipment is helpful; confidence on ladders a must, climbing experience a plus
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be enthusiastic about plants, conscientious of the environment, and be willing to participate in all horticultural best management practices and organization events
This position has very high physical demands:
Approximate percentages of time tasks are performed in carrying out the essential functions of this position:
Maximum load employee will be required to lift/carry is 35 or 50 lbs. per CMBG Employee Manual
- 90% of time bending/stooping, squatting, reaching above shoulder level, kneeling, hand/fingers used for repetitive motion, hands/fingers used for fine manipulation, hands/fingers used for firm grasping, head/neck in rotational movements, head/neck in extension movements, head/neck in flexing movements
- 10% of time in sitting position
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the company reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances dictate (such as emergencies, weather conditions, changes in personnel, work load, rush jobs, special events, or technological developments).
For additional information, please contact:
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
Contact Name: Sharmon Provan, Director of Horticulture
Phone: (207) 380-4402 or (207) 633-8053