We are a NYC based, high-end, full service garden and landscape design build firm specializing in design, installation, maintenance and construction. We are a growing company that delivers high quality work while maintaining a friendly working environment.
We are looking for a seasonal maintenance gardener to work with our horticulture team on job sites throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn. This position requires excellent communication skills with diligent note taking and interaction with our online calendar for scheduling and reporting.
Successful candidates for this position should have good working knowledge of plant culture so that they can work independently. We are seeking someone with a love for plants who can potentially lead/teach others good garden practices. They should be able to present themselves in a professional manner when working with clients and their gardens. Communication skills, attention to detail, sensitivity to personal environment, and following up on unresolved issues are essential.
- Complete seasonal plant installations and other garden related construction techniques on project sites
- Complete day to day plant maintenance, scouting pests and diseases, monitoring and adjusting irrigation systems
- Maintain a clean hardscape at the end of each day (requires: sweeping/vacuuming leaves and debris; scrubbing/power washing)
- Understand the project schedule and report on time to the project site
- Update the progress report and include sending photos of the completed work
- Identify any requirements or supply needs for the project by updating the calendar with the required information
- Develop and maintain a harmonious work environment
- Maintain professionalism with clients and their gardens, providing attention to detail, sensitivity to personal environment and following up on unresolved issues
- Maintain garden supply inventory per project site
- Good working knowledge of plant culture and willing to teach others good garden practices.
- 1+ years experience in garden maintenance – green roof, rooftop, urban environments a plus
- Clean driver’s license and smart phone are a must
- Horticulture Degree or certificate not required but student history is preferred
- Able to lift 50lbs or more
- Good working knowledge of plant identification, health, and habit
- Highly motivated, self-driven individual
- Must be able to problem solve
- Strong verbal & written communication skills
- Good time management skills
- Availability for long seasonal hours
- Ability to take direction, prioritize, and multi-task
- Energetic, motivated, and hardworking
- Punctual, dependable, and willing to work in all weather
This a full-time/seasonal position with room for growth. Start date is mid-March with the season running to mid-December, depending on weather.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
All candidates may email their cover letter, resume, and relevant materials to foligardens [at] gmail [dot] com.