QBG seeks an individual with an interest in maintenance to assist with general facilities and grounds maintenance. Under the supervision of QBG Maintenance staff, interns will learn through hands on experience all aspects of maintaining a public garden, such as electrical, plumbing, painting, and construction work in all weather conditions. Intern will be expected to work with volunteers who may come to us as individuals or as part of a group. During the months of July and August intern must be available to oversee a small group of teens as part of the City’s Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP). This is a paid internship.
Primary duties include
- Help with general facilities and grounds maintenance
- Assist Maintenance Team with electrical, plumbing, painting, and construction work
- Assist with the maintenance and repair of our Platinum Certified Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) building and learn about eco-friendly features including geothermal heating and cooling systems, solar and green roofs, and rain collection systems
- Do green cleaning (chemical free and environmentally friendly)
- Assist in the maintenance of water features for multiple fountains
- Set up and break down special events both indoors and outdoors
- Be introduced to auto repair, including heavy machinery
- Interact with visitors to encourage behavior that is in compliance with Garden rules
- Act as team leader for Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) participants and oversee SYEP summer projects including painting of the perimeter fence
- Willingness to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to work outdoors in all kinds of weather
- Ability to bend, stand, kneel, or crouch for periods of time
- Ability to use basic hand and cleaning tools such as mops and brooms as well as power tools such as lawn mowers, weed whackers, and string trimmers
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
- Current Driver’s License preferred but not necessary
Internship is available for up to 28 hours per week Tuesday-Friday from mid-March through mid-August with possible extension into fall.
By clicking here, applicants will be able to apply through our online portal. Using the link provided will also let us know you came to us through Metro Hort.