Naval Cemetery Landscape Associate
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) seeks a part-time Associate for the Naval Cemetery Landscape (NCL), an award-winning 1.7-acre contemplative memorial “park” at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The NCL Associate provides information and ensure proper use and maintenance of the space for visitors and program partners as they enjoy its meandering elevated boardwalk, “sacred bench,” tens of thousands of native plants, and dozens of species of pollinators.
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to develop, establish, and steward the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway, a landscaped bicycle and pedestrian corridor contiguous with parks and open space, enabling access and connectivity to the waterfront as well as new mobility options for transit-starved communities along the Brooklyn waterfront. BGI built the Naval Cemetery Landscape on the site of the former Naval Hospital Cemetery at the Brooklyn Navy Yard as a place for retreat and remembrance while honoring its rich layers of natural and cultural history. This site was designed as a native plant meadow and pollinator habitat, and provides visitors with an escape from urban life.
The NCL Associate reports directly to the Executive Director and collaborates with other team members focused on public outreach and communications, events and programs, and organizational development. The NCL Associate is responsible for three main areas of work:
- Greet and engage visitors; provide information about the cultural and natural history of the NCL in a courteous and professional manner to a diverse audience of visitors and local residents
- Ensure proper use of the space by visitors, i.e. staying on the boardwalk, not riding bikes in the Landscape, etc.
- Track daily visitation and attendance at programs
- Represent and promote BGI and its broader vision and mission to NCL visitors
Maintenance & Operations
- Remove litter from within the NCL and entrance area along Williamsburg Street West
- Remove snow and/or apply non-caustic ice melt to allow visitation during snow events
- Weed, spread mulch, cut vegetation, and/or plant as seasonally appropriate
- Reporting damage to signage, hardscape, planted areas and/or lighting
- Maintain tools, equipment and supplies in good working order
Programs & Partnerships
- Serve as BGI’s on-site point of contact for program partners and arranged group visits, i.e. Yoga and Meditation Programs, Tours, Environmental Education Workshops, Beekeeping, etc.
- Work with volunteers and/or interns as scheduled
- May perform program introductions and brief overviews or tours of the Landscape
- Experience delivering outgoing customer service or other forward facing role, preferably in a public setting
- Strong interest in outdoor environments, cultural landscapes, native plants and pollinators, and similar
- Demonstrated record of reliability; ability to work independently; self-starting
- Must be an enthusiastic team-player, willing to collaborate on tasks; commitment to shared goals
- Availability to work regular weekend shifts; potential for additional shifts may arise for special programs
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Degree/certification/experience in landscape management or horticulture a plus
- Valid NYS driver’s license preferred
Schedule and Salary Details
The NCL Associate is a part-time, seasonal, non-exempt position.
Schedule: April – October, two or three days/week [schedules vary], 10:00am – 4:00pm Compensation: $20/hour
To apply for this position, please submit your letter of interest, references, and resume by March 3, 2019 to Terri Carta, Executive Director, at email@example.com with NCL Associate in the subject line. We will contact only those individuals whose applications are being considered.
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.