Project & Operations Manager
Elevations Landscape Design + Build is a boutique design firm specializing in residential landscape projects in the New York metro area. Our work includes all aspects of garden spaces from concept and planting designs to onsite work such as hardscape and carpentry, planting, irrigation and lighting.
We are looking for an experienced project manager to ensure client satisfaction through efficient and high quality execution of all installations. This key position will be responsible for all project coordination and day-to-day operations of the business. This includes working with our designers on multiple garden design projects at any given time, managing a small team of gardeners and landscape builders, and liaising with clients. The candidate is expected to operate with a certain amount of autonomy and be able to balance a workload split between in-office coordination and management on the jobsite. They will have the opportunity to develop this role and as such should arrive with a toolkit of organizational methods and a can-do spirit. The position reports to the founding principle, designer & administrator and will manage and act as bridge to all field staff.
Project management responsibilities are to plan, staff, implement, oversee and evaluate all projects, including:
- Collaborating with designers to lead jobs from approval through to completion
- Developing and maintaining the business’ long term relationships with clients
- Creating and tracking contracts, scopes of work, production schedules and roles and responsibilities matrix for each project
- Coordinating with admin staff for invoicing and cost tracking
- Conducting weekly staff meetings; attending and documenting meetings onsite with clients and/or staff
- Coordinating field staff schedules; manage bidding, hiring and coordinating subcontractors
- Managing material procurement- ordering, tracking, and delivery to sites in timely manner
- Acting as main contact to field staff and subcontractors to distribute and collect project site information
- Monitor project budgets, manage staff to ensure team meets project deadlines, make site visits to QC installations
- Consistently communicate with clients to schedule, report progress and follow up
Operations responsibilities are to develop and maintain internal systems, including:
- Maintaining internal workflows to maximize productivity and organization
- Assisting in developing a staff training guide and reward system, setting goal and objectives, conducting progress evaluations and appraising performance
- Ensuring all employees receive training, all policies and procedures are disseminated and followed, spot checking as needed
- Overseeing staff to maintain an orderly and well-stocked warehouse/shop
Required Skills, Attributes & Experience:
- At least 2 years of production and management experience
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills.
- Firsthand experience with construction methods, operation of tools and equipment, and safety procedures.
- Excellent hands-on construction skills
- Understanding of basic design principles and ability to convey designer’s intent
- Ability to demonstrate role model behavior with ethics and integrity, to project a professional image and positive attitude in all situations
- Ability to work nimbly, to jump between projects and tasks with a high degree of self-motivation, while remaining flexible to guide and work within a small team
- Ability to negotiate deals and resolve conflicts with clients and vendors
- Ability to manage effectively, to establish benchmarks and motivate staff to achieve goals
- Ability to build rapport with suppliers by handling situations with confidence, tact and resourcefulness
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making abilities, ability to analyze situations, consider options and pivot quickly as obstacles arise
- Deadline and detail oriented with effective resource planning, time and organization skills
- Comfort working on a Mac computers with web based communication systems, proficiency in MS Office
- Background working in construction, landscaping, and/or gardening preferred
We are pleased to offer a competitive salary and full benefit package including a 401k plan and paid vacation.
TO APPLY: send a resume and cover letter detailing relevant experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org