Prospect Park Alliance Forestry Technician
Be part of the driving force that sustains Prospect Park, Brooklyn’s Flagship Park. Founded in 1987, Prospect Park Alliance is the non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park, “Brooklyn’s Backyard,” in partnership with the City. The Alliance provides critical staff and resources that keep the Park green and vibrant for the diverse communities that call Brooklyn home. The Prospect Park Alliance seeks a full-time Forestry Technician.
The Forestry Technician implements and carries out ecological restoration and park maintenance project in the park natural areas working with other Natural Resources Crew members, students, interns, volunteers, and community members. This position reports to the Natural Resources Supervisor.
- Vegetation control of exotic invasive species using both mechanical and chemical means
- Operation and maintenance of machines and equipment, such as weed whackers, augers, chainsaws, trucks, tractors, and chippers in a safe and efficient manner
- Installation of various erosion control structures
- Fence installation and repair to protect sites and mitigate compaction
- Removal of garbage, litter, and homeless debris in natural areas
- Proper planting and maintenance of native trees, shrub and herbaceous species in project areas
- Maintain edges of woodland and passive management areas throughout the growing season by mowing and weed whacking
- Continues to learn more about natural ecosystems and their management whenever the opportunity arises
- Works with volunteers, interns, and students in all above skill related responsibilities
- Maintain a positive work attitude by behaving and communicating in a cooperative manner with co-workers, supervisors, and the public
- Maintain all licenses necessary to carry out duties
- Performance of all other job-related tasks as assigned
- 1 year of experience in landscape, ecology, or forestry related work
- Valid NYS Driver’s License
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor and a daily basis such as lifting, moving, and carrying heavy objects of 50lbs or more
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- Strong native and invasive plant identification skills a plus
Please send your resume and cover letter to Job113@prospectpark.org. No phone calls, please. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview.
The Alliance is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or if you’re parenting the next generation, we firmly believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be their most authentic self.
Prospect Park Alliance