Public Programs Assistant
The Program Assistant will aide Public Programs and Education staff in executing weekend programming for QBG Visitors including helping to develop family friendly arts activities, staffing weekend activity tables, and assisting in event production and staffing for public events. The Program Assistant will be scheduled to work up to 16 hours per week on Saturdays, Sundays and occasional week days. This position is seasonal, from mid-March to end of October, with possibility to extend.
Primary duties include
- Develop and produce family friendly nature and arts activities
- Work as a public face of the garden, providing information about programs and garden visitation
- Source and prepare arts and crafts materials for programs workshops and events
- Coordinate volunteer needs with Coordinator of Volunteers. Greet and track program volunteers and delegate volunteer assignments
- Assist with the setup and breakdown of events and workshops
- Assist with documentation and evaluation of programs
- Contribute feedback and research ideas to inform program content development
- Organize inventory and maintain programmatic materials
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with the public, particularly with families and children, and assisting with events
- Interest in plants, horticulture, environmental sustainability or ethnobotany
- Background in visual arts, performing arts, design, k-12 education, or customer service a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or working toward a bachelor’s degree preferred
- Additional language skills (Chinese or Spanish) a plus
- Weekend availability required
This is an active role participating in Public Programs covering the entirety of our 39 acre garden. The individual in this position must be able to move throughout the grounds as well as remain stationary at event stations. Event setups and breakdown will require moving of tables, chairs, materials and other equipment weighing up to 20 lbs.
By clicking here, applicants will be able to apply through our online portal. Using the link provided will also let us know you came to us through Metro Hort.