Seasonal Assistant Gardener
Madison Square Park Conservancy is the nonprofit organization whose mission is to protect, nurture and enhance Madison Square Park, a dynamic seven-acre public green space, creating an environment that fosters moments of inspiration. The Conservancy is committed to engaging the community through its beautiful gardens, inviting amenities, and world-class programming.
Mad. Sq. Hort, the horticulture program of Madison Square Park Conservancy, is committed to creating a world class public garden featuring sustainable urban horticulture, the preservation of Madison Square Park’s tree canopy and the curation of five botanical collections of Daffodils, Redbuds, Hydrangeas, Camellias, and Witch Hazels.
Reporting to the Horticulturalist, the Seasonal Assistant Gardener will manage the day to day maintenance of the park gardens. The Gardeners will work in close cooperation with one another to carry out all tasks necessary to preserve and improve Madison Square Park’s world class garden.
- Maintaining the gardens to world class standards including woody and herbaceous pruning, application of fertilizer/supplements, mulching, weeding, and planting.
- Responsible for day-to-day watering of all areas including annual, perennial, perimeter trees and worth square.
- Removal of litter and natural debris that builds up in beds, lawns, and containers.
- Planting and removal of three annual displays yearly in 23 annual beds.
- Replacement plantings of perennial material as needed.
- Alerting the deputy director to any pests, diseases, damages, etc. needed.
- Operation of landscape machinery including lawn mowers, string trimmers, blowers, edgers, mulchers etc.
- Maintaining lawn areas including mowing, edging, raking, seeding, fertilizing, observation and watering.
- Act as an ambassador to park patrons
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Background in horticulture either through coursework or experience.
- Individuals who can utilize technology
- Individuals capable of doing physically strenuous work in all weather.
- Ability to serve as ambassadors to our patrons, work hard, and have fun doing it.
- Responsible individuals committed to doing every job well.
- Ability to work alone and in a team setting.
- Field problem solvers
- This a temporary seasonal position. April- November
- 40 Hours weekly
- Monday- Friday 7 :00 AM – 3:30 PM
Please submit your cover letter and resume with the position in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed. No calls please.
Madison Square Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all federal, state and local equal employment opportunity (“EEO”) laws. The Conservancy prohibits discrimination against applicants for employment because of the individual’s race or color, religion or creed, alienage or citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest or pre-employment conviction record or any other characteristic protected by law.