Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is programmed, maintained, and operated by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with NYC Parks. We raise nearly 100% of the High Line’s annual budget.
Through excellence in operations, stewardship, innovative programming, and world-class design, we seek to engage the vibrant and diverse community on and around the High Line, and to raise the essential private funding to help complete the High Line’s construction and create an endowment for its future operations.
The seasonal Gardener is a full-time, non-exempt, temporary position at Friends of the High Line and an integral part of the Park Operations team. Under the general supervision of Friends of the High Line’s director of horticulture, the seasonal gardener plays an important role in maintaining the High Line park and plantings during the spring and summer seasons (last week of February – September). Working interactively with a team of gardeners, volunteers, and other Operations staff, the seasonal gardener responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Care for diverse plantings of trees, shrubs, vines, perennials, grasses, and bulbs
- Hand-water and monitor irrigation of plantings
- Perform seasonal landscape work including planting, pruning, clean-up, bulb planting, dividing and transplanting, leaf removal
- Scout for pests and diseases
- General clean-up of garden beds and paths, clean up litter
- Stage equipment, supplies, and materials for daily horticulture operations
- Participate in snow and ice removal as needed
- Maintain tools and equipment
- Perform other tasks as needed
- One or more years of experience in landscape maintenance with horticultural knowledge
- Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness
- Willingness to work as part of a team or alone in all weather conditions
- Able to work in a dynamic work environment and be a good communicator with staff
- Willingness to act as an ambassador for Friends of the High Line, answering questions for park visitors about horticulture and general park information
- Experience working with volunteers and youth preferred
- Valid NY State driver’s license.
- Ability to walk, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and regularly lift and/or move 45lbs with proper tools
- Ability to operate electric equipment, and power and hand tools
- Ability to successfully complete and abide by fall arrest system training
- Able to work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Can work outdoors in all weather conditions, sometimes for extended periods of time
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to thehighline.workable.com. No phone calls please. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted.
Friends of the High Line is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.