Start Date: April 18 Compensation: Before June 1st, $826.81/week. After June 1st, $839.21/week.
Green-Wood Cemetery is hiring a Seasonal Gardener for the 2023 season. As a member of the Horticulture Department, you will be responsible for the daily horticultural management of Green-Wood’s landscape. Ideal candidates are passionate about public horticulture and are excited to work in New York’s original greenspace.
- Caring for newly planted trees, shrubs, perennials and annual beds
- Planting and transplanting herbaceous plants and small trees
- Understory tree and shrub pruning and maintenance
- Meadow landscape maintenance
- Maintenance of all essential equipment
- Weeding, brush clearing, and mulching
- Interacting with Green-Wood visitors in a professional manner and with an understanding of the sensitivities required while working in an active cemetery
- Perform other duties as required in the scope of the job and as designated by Management
- One season of horticulture experience in a botanic garden, historic landscape, or park setting or a degree in horticulture and/or related field
- Familiar with gardening practices including planting, weed ID, and irrigation
- Experience with various landscape maintenance equipment, including gas-powered tools
- Ability to perform physical labor (lift 40 lbs.) on a daily basis in all weather conditions
- Hardworking, energetic, self-motivated, and dedicated to the details
- Strong communication skills and basic computer knowledge helpful
- Comfortable working independently or with a team and outside in a park-setting
This is a 40-hour-per-week position. Hours are 8 AM-4:35 PM.
In addition, all new hires must be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19. Masking requirements follow city and state regulations and must be adhered to at all times.
Please submit resumes and cover letters to Green-Wood’s Horticulture Department at email@example.com.
Use “SEASONAL GARDENER: Your last name” as your subject line.
The Green-Wood Cemetery
Contact Name: Horticulture