Mountain Top Arboretum
Tannersville, New York
The Mountain Top Arboretum is located in the northern Catskill Mountains of New York at 2,400 feet elevation in an area with a rich artistic history and a vibrant year round music, arts, and food scene. The Arboretum was established in 1977 and comprises displays of native and non-native plants and curated natural areas in four separate but interconnected sites covering 178 acres. See www.mtarboretum.org. Of special mention are its woodland walk, hedgerow display, spiral labyrinth, rain garden and bird cove highlighting the importance of native species, and an unspoiled northern hardwood/conifer forest surrounding a mountain top wetland. The site is at the northern end of the New York City watershed requiring special attention to ecological practices. The Arboretum presents 25+ public programs throughout the year, using its new timber frame Education Center for indoor programming.
The Arboretum seeks to hire a Seasonal Gardener/Horticulturist (May–October) reporting to the Executive Director. The Seasonal Gardener/Horticulturist will participate in all aspects of plant care throughout the property with a particular focus on the detailed maintenance of the Arboretum’s displays and natural areas. A qualified candidate is passionate about plants, has a discerning eye, a strong work ethic, enjoys interacting with the public and would like an opportunity to gain broad experience in a small but high-quality organization.
- Perform garden maintenance such as pruning, planting, mulching, weeding and watering.
- Supervise volunteers and work with arboretum contractors.
- Monitor for pests, invasive species and diseases and safely apply repellents and fertilizers.
- Assist with events, including some weekends and evenings.
- Assist with the maintenance of buildings and facilities including restroom provisioning and performing minor repairs.
- Assess and recommend actions for continued horticulture improvement.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Training in horticulture or related field.
- Experience in public or private garden maintenance.
- Excellent knowledge of plant identification, health and culture.
- Familiarity with major pests, invasive species and diseases and IPM strategies.
- Able to work independently and take responsibility for plan execution.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and social media.
- Have valid driver’s license and able to operate Arboretum equipment.
- Able to handle physical demands of the job and lift heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Friendly, active listener with excellent conversational and speaking skills
Please Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Interested applicants should send a resume to Marc Wolf, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer.
The desired start date is May 2019. This is a part-time or full-time seasonal position.
Mountain Top Arboretum
Website: Apply Online