Seasonal Gardeners (Queens)
The City of New York/Parks & Recreation is looking for experienced gardeners with hands-on working experience designing, installing and maintaining horticulture beds and ability to lead work crews.
Positions are for Spring 2019.
- Work alongside with borough horticulture staff and support personnel including workfare participants in field operations including planting, pruning and removals, composting, lawn reseeding and landscape renovations;
- Possesses thorough working knowledge of turf, woody and herbaceous plants, their culture, usage in the urban landscape;
- Able to supervise and direct volunteers and seasonal workers;
- Operates and maintains power equipment like mowers, weed whackers and blowers;
- Designs new garden plans and renovates existing landscapes;
- One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in planting, transplanting, cultivating and maintenance of trees, shrubs, perennials and lawns; or
- A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden or equivalent; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to ʺ1ʺ above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in ʺ1ʺ above
- A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
- NYSDEC Commercial Pesticide Applicator or Technician License in category 3A a plus.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to:
Kean Eng, Director of Horticulture
NYC Department of Parks and Recreation
The Overlook, 80-30 Park Lane
Kew Gardens, NY 11415