The Battery is one of New York City’s oldest public open spaces, located at the tip of Manhattan overlooking New York Harbor. The Battery Conservancy was created in 1994 to rebuild Battery Park and Castle Clinton National Monument, in partnership with city, state, federal agencies, and private donors. The park features extensive perennial gardens designed by the Battery’s master horticultural planner Piet Oudolf, encompassing all of his different garden styles over the past decade. This position is responsible for the cleanliness and ongoing maintenance of the gardens, park paths, lawns, and other landscape features. As an outdoor employee of TBC, you will work as directed by overall Operations management
- Clean all paths of plant debris, trash, and litter on a daily basis.
- Maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and attention to detail of all Gardens and Park Features such as benches, drinking fountains, etc.
- Assist Horticulture staff and volunteers in planting, weeding, watering, and basic horticultural care of gardens and lawns as directed.
- Provide seasonal grounds duties: soil replacement, leaf raking, snow and ice removal, etc.
- Work closely with Operations staff during snow emergencies and during special events.
- Provide general assistance to Conservancy staff as needed.
- Minimum 1 year of professional landscaping ﬁeld experience.
- Work well in a team or alone and in all weather conditions.
- Ability to use and operate standard landscaping power and hand tools.
- Perform heavy physical labor on a daily basis. Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Driver’s license preferred.
Position: March 4th, 2019 - October 31st, 2019
Schedule: Sunday - Thursday schedule. 9 am - 5 pm Spring & Fall, sliding to 1 pm - 9 pm in summer.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Seasonal Groundskeeper” in the subject. No phone calls, please.
TBC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants.