Planting Fields Arboretum is seeking a seasonal horticulturist to maintain and enhance the formal garden areas of the arboretum. The formal garden horticulturist will report directly to the director of horticulture. The ideal candidate will be a passionate plants person with experience in maintenance and design of annual plantings, container plantings and mixed planting of shrubs and perennials. The duties of this position include regular maintenance of Planting Fields’ Italian garden, playhouse garden, and Rose Garde, including watering, weeding, pruning, dead heading, mulching, planting Etc. In addition, the formal garden horticulturist will be responsible for designing, planting and maintaining annual display beds and containers in key areas of the arboretum.
- Strong gardening skills
- Must have strong interest in horticulture and being willing to work outdoors in all conditions
- Must be self-motivated, and willing to work independently as well as in groups as needed.
- Associates degree in horticulture or 3 years horticultural experience
- Pesticide license is a plus
- Experience operating small power equipment
- Experience working with volunteers and interns
Interested candidate can apply by sending a resume’ and cover letter to Michael Runkel at Michael.Runkel@parks.ny.gov with Seasonal Horticulturist in the subject line.