Job Type: Full-Time, Seasonal; 40 hours per week; plus overtime when required; Non-Exempt
Pay Range: Starting at $16.00 - $22.00 / hour
Duration: March 4 - November 16, 2019
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York, NY 10035
The Seasonal Gardener will report directly to the Horticulture Manager and the Director of Horticulture and work with other members of the Horticulture Crew to maintain Randall’s Island Parks’ existing gardens and develop new gardens. The Seasonal Gardener will also assist with volunteer events and programming as needed.
Work with the Randall’s Island Horticulture Crew to assist in horticultural activities and general maintenance work, including soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation, planting, and caring for existing gardens.
- Hand water and monitor irrigation of plantings, especially during time of establishment and drought.
- Operate small hand tools and basic power machinery, including hedge trimmers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- Assist with volunteer events and educational activities, as needed.
- General clean-up of garden beds and paths, clean-up litter.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned by the Horticulture Manager and/or the Director of Horticulture.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools
- Must have a strong interest in horticulture and the environment
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Willing and able to learn how to maintain and create containers for visual display
- Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50lbs
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to work overtime and weekends
- Valid New York State driver license
- B.A. in Public Horticulture, Agriculture or related fields OR equivalent horticulture certificate/coursework OR 3 years hands-on experience in horticulture
- Knowledge of composting, integrate pest management (IPM), greenhouse propagation, and basic carpentry skills
- Ability to use light power equipment and hand tools
- Experience working with volunteers and youth preferred
- Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout the park
- Good communication and leadership skills
The Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RIPA maintains confidentiality of all applications and therefore will never contact a present employer without prior consent from the applicant.
Randall’s Island Park Alliance
Website: Apply Online