Seasonal Horticulturist: Full-time; Seasonal; 40 hours per week; plus overtime when required.
Pay Range: Starting at $16.00- $22.00/hour. On-site apartment may be available as part of compensation.
Duration: April- November 16th 2019.
Work Location: Briarwood Gardens- a 500 unit apartment complex on 3 acres in Briarwood, Queens. F train to Briarwood stop. The property has ornamental gardens and raised vegetable beds for tenants.
Position Description: The seasonal gardener will report to property owner and manager and work to maintain existing gardens and develop new ones. The seasonal gardener will also assist with volunteer events and programming as needed.
Work in horticultural activities and general maintenance work, including soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation, planting, and caring for existing gardens.
- Hand water and monitor irrigation of plantings, especially during time of establishment and drought.
- Operate small hand tools and basic power machinery, including hedge trimmers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well maintained.
- Assist with volunteer events and educational activities, as needed.
- General clean-up of garden beds and paths, clean-up litter.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools
- Must have a strong interest in horticulture and the environment
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Willing and able to learn how to maintain and create containers for visual display
- Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50lbs
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to work overtime and weekends
- Valid New York State Driver License
Preferred Skills/ Qualifications
- B.A in Public Horticulture, Agriculture or related fields or equivalent horticulture Certificate/ coursework or 3 years hand-on experience in horticulture
- Knowledge of composting, integrate pest management and basic carpentry skills
- Ability to use light power equipment and hand tools
- Detail-oriented, which considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout the property
- Good communication skills
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Briarwood Gardens, Queens