Seasonal Parks Technician
The Alliance for Downtown New York manages the Downtown-Lower Manhattan Business Improvement District (BID) serving an area roughly from City Hall to the Battery, from the East River to West Street. We provide a host of services, including supplemental sanitation and security, economic development, streetscape and transportation improvements, marketing and enhanced tourist services. As part of its supplemental services, the Alliance maintains planted areas across nine public spaces, as well as planters throughout Lower Manhattan.
The Alliance for Downtown New York seeks applicants for the part-time position of Seasonal Parks Technician in the Operations Department. This position is for 30 hours a week, with working hours of 8:00AM-4:00PM, six months a year, from May to November. Reporting to the District Landscape Manager, the Seasonal Parks Technician will be responsible for performing landscape and horticultural maintenance across nine public plazas and parks, which includes caring for planted areas and over 140 planters.
- Work on daily tasks as defined by the District Landscape Manager, including weeding, watering, string trimming, mowing, and pruning
- Assist in plantings, mulching, and moving of planters
- Proper maintenance of all horticulture equipment, including periodic inspection of all power equipment
- Help to set up and inspect tables and chairs throughout the district
- Gather and report conditional data on our parks and gardens
- Assist in management of organics collection in select public spaces
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 1 year experience in landscaping, gardening, or agriculture.
- High School/GED is required.
- Work well in a team or alone and in all weather conditions.
- Ability to use and operate standard landscaping power and hand tools.
- Perform heavy physical labor on a daily basis. Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Good communication skills
- Driver’s license preferred.
Compensation is $16/hour, with potential increase. This position is eligible for overtime under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act for any hours worked over 40 in a workweek. Employees accrue sick leave at the rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, up to a maximum of 40 hours of sick leave per calendar year.
The Alliance for Downtown New York is an equal opportunity employer.