Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator
Title: Seasonal Urban Farmer & Educator (2 Positions Available)
Job Type: Full-Time, Seasonal; 40 hours per week; plus overtime when required; Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $16.00 - $20.00 / hour
Duration: March 4 - November 16, 2019
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York, NY 10035
The Urban Farmer & Educator will report directly to the Urban Farm Manager and work with other members of the Horticulture Crew to maintain the Randall’s Island Urban Farm.
- Work with the Urban Farm Manager to assist with planting, preparation, and maintenance of the Urban Farm including: soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, trellising, planting, and composting.
- Assist with all educational activities held on the Urban Farm including preparation of the farm for student visits, lesson planning, creation of educational materials, and scheduling volunteer and student visits.
- Assist the Urban Farm Manager with record keeping of harvest yields, disease, and pest control efforts.
- Assist the Urban Farm Manager to care for a flock of chickens, including watering and feeding.
- Assist in writing weekly blog posts about the Urban Farm.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned by the Urban Farm Manager.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- Familiar with organic and sustainable farm practices
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to work overtime and weekends
- Valid New York State driver’s license
- Coursework in introductory biology, ecology, or related field
- Experience with educational children’s programming
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Ability to use light power equipment and hand tools
- An awareness and passion for health, nutrition and food justice issues
- Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout the park
The Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RIPA maintains confidentiality of all applications and therefore will never contact a present employer without prior consent from the applicant.
Fill out an application at https://randallsisland.org/about/employment-opportunities/