The Gowanus Canal Conservancy (GCC) is a community-based non-profit organization that serves as the environmental steward for the Gowanus Canal Watershed in Brooklyn, NY.
GCC is looking for a passionate and skilled Stewardship Coordinator to lead youth and adults in outdoor stewardship work, including youth job training, youth service-learning, and volunteer programs. The ideal candidate is passionate about the urban environment and can lead and inspire volunteers and students in the field.
Youth Job Training - Gowanus Green Team is a spring and summer green job training program that introduces high school apprentices to environmental careers in green infrastructure, urban conservation, and design. Green Team spends the majority of their time outdoors, performing physical work in green spaces in the Gowanus neighborhood. In addition, the team participates in classroom learning, field training, and goes on field trips to learn about parks and restoration areas around NYC.
Youth Service Learning - GCC’s school programs engage K-12 students in outdoor stewardship activities, hands-on scientific inquiry, and design. In 90 minute sessions in spring and fall, students in grades K-12 are introduced to the Gowanus Canal, its polluted history, and steps to making a healthier ecosystem through stewardship and volunteerism. Service learning activities may include plant propagation in GCC’s native plant nursery or citizen science activities such as water quality testing.
Volunteer Program - GCC’s Volunteer Program engages stewards of all all ages and skill levels in environmental stewardship in the Gowanus Canal Watershed. Volunteers work to improve the ecological health of the area through activities such as garden stewardship, invasive plant removal, plant propagation, wildlife habitat creation, tree stewardship, and community composting.
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Experience working with youth (K-12) and adult volunteers and a passion for cultivating environmental stewardship
- Excellent time management, communication, and organization skills
- Interest and ability to work outdoors in an urban environment in all weather conditions
- Gardening experience
- Working knowledge of NYC native plants, common weeds and green infrastructure
- Ability to work both independently and with a team
- Willingness to travel by public transportation to work sites in Gowanus and around the city
- Driver’s license and willingness to drive the GCC van (preferred, not required)
- Act as point person in the field for coordinating stewardship work. Lead and instruct groups of students and volunteers of all ages. Tasks include organizing tools, tracking attendance, managing logistics, and ensuring safety.
- Serve as the lead instructor for school groups with instructional/field support from other staff, interns and volunteer coordinators; Lead site prep and clean up
Coordination, Outreach & Planning:
- Conduct outreach and coordination for key programs. Coordinate with field work partners, teachers and volunteers
- Help with recruitment and hiring of youth Gowanus Green Team apprentices in the spring
- Plan lessons and prep materials; manage stewardship activities and lessons for visiting school groups (20-35 students) and Green Team apprentices (6 high school students). Create agendas for classroom and field sessions.
Gardening & Maintenance:
- Conduct gardening and maintenance - often with the help of volunteers and students - across multiple sites throughout the Gowanus neighborhood: bioswales, street trees, gardens, and GCC’s native plant nursery. Responsibilities may include:
- Nursery work; Weeding, Pruning, Deadheading, Planting; Pest management; Removal of litter
- Watering new plantings using fire hydrant with hose attachment
- Help with set up and provide staffing for occasional special events throughout the year
Schedule & Pay
- This is a full time year round position beginning in March or April 2019
- 40 hours per week, includes some evenings and weekends. Requires most Saturdays May through August
- Pay rate commensurate with experience (salary range $36,000-$50,000), full benefits
Please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.