Compensation: $35.38 - $39.31 Hourly
Skilled work in the care and maintenance of shade trees requiring high climbing and technical skill and knowledge in treating, pruning, insect and disease management, fertilizing, bracing and general caring for trees. Considerable hazard is involved because work is frequently performed at considerable heights. Skill is required when felling trees or branches to protect property from damage and to safeguard other workers and the public from injury. Position reports to Tree Foreman and /or Tree Operations Supervisor.
Preference will be given to current Town of Greenwich employees who are members of Teamsters Local 456.
- Climbs trees, using ropes, ladders, or in an aerial lift, to remove entire trees, prune trees by removing dead, dying, diseased and weakened branches or leaders to improve overall health and appearance. Maintains safe working conditions at all times while performing work necessary to complete tree work operations, including, but not limited to running “ let down lines”, chipping brush, bucking wood, limbing of fallen trees and branches, raking and sweeping.
- Operates stump-grinding equipment to remove tree stumps.
- Performs insect and /or disease management treatments by spraying with pesticides, injection of systemic pesticides, or cultural treatments under the supervision of a licensed arborist.
- Plants trees and shrubs in accordance with approved standards and specifications, which include properly mulching newly, planted trees and shrubs and maintaining mulched trees.
- Inspects trees for insect, disease and cultural problems. Collects and prepares samples from trees for outside diagnostic testing.
- May be required to assist in snow plowing and highway maintenance during inclement weather.
- Performs related work and keeps records as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of the methods and equipment used in pruning, insect and disease management, fertilizing, bracing, trimming, and removal of trees; knowledge of general tree physiology.
- Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions in tree maintenance activities. Ability to perform an aerial rescue under supervision of Foreman or Supervisor.
- Skilled in the use of chainsaws, hand operated saws, pole pruners, pole saws; hand operated pruners, lopping pruners,, axes, chippers and all other standard tools and equipment of the trade.
- Ability to throw a rope over a branch thirty feet above the ground, climb the rope in a prompt and safe manner and secure oneself in the tree; then to further climb the tree by means of established approved specifications for ascending the tree.
- Ability to work at various heights up to 100 feet, cut and lift logs; lift 100 lbs. occasionally, 50 lbs. frequently and 20 lbs. regularly.
- All positions may be subject to an interview process. The Town reserves the right to limit the number of qualified candidates who will be invited to participate in the examination, or any part thereof.
- The eligible list containing the names of successful examination candidates will be in force for a minimum period of six (6) months, and will allow candidates to be considered for appointment to vacancies in the position that are available during that timeframe.
- All outside candidates will be required to undertake and successfully pass a pre-employment medical examination, which includes a substance abuse test, given at the Town's expense prior to employment if conditionally offered a part time, full time or safety sensitive position.
- The Town of Greenwich has implemented a policy of background investigations all full and part time positions prior to hiring as part of the reference checking procedures for outside candidates. The investigation will only be conducted as the last step prior to an offer. Refusal to sign the release form will terminate the candidate's further consideration.
- If claiming veteran's preference, proof (DD-214) must be submitted at the time of application.
- High school graduate plus three years’ experience as a tree climber working for a Connecticut licensed arborist or equivalent licensed organization or arborist, a certified arborist (I.S.A.), or an equivalent combination of education and experience. However, all applicants must have 1 year of work experience as a tree climber.
- Must obtain a Connecticut pesticide applicator’s license within six months of appointment.
- Commercial Driver’s License required prior to participating in the Performance Examination
Town Of Greenwich
Website: Apply Online