Urban Garden Maintenance Curriculum Developer
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an urban botanic garden that connects people to the world of plants, fostering delight and curiosity while inspiring an appreciation and sense of stewardship of the environment. One of BBG’s key continuing education programs is the Certificate in Horticulture—which is designed for people who plan to pursue a career in the horticulture industries and for highly motivated home gardeners who want an in-depth understanding of plants and gardens. Urban Garden Maintenance is one of eight required courses for the Certificate, focused on mastering tools and techniques for plant care in an urban setting.
We seek an experienced consultant to advise, collaborate, and write a curriculum for the Certificate in Horticulture course Urban Garden Maintenance. This consultant’s responsibilities will include creating a 6-session curriculum, including:
• Teachers notes
• Lab instructions
• Quizzes or homework
• Final exam
The full scope of this project is to be completed in a 5-month span to be completed by May 2018. The hired consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
December 2018-January 2019:
• Create report based on research and student/staff feedback, to determine how classes on this subject have been taught at other institutions and/or in other contexts, and to determine how to best meet the needs of our student population.
• Create a course outline based on this report, including topic areas and potential in-class activities.
• Present this information to the Continuing Education team and brainstorm together to create activities that engage deeply with the BBG collections.
• Create first draft.
• Meet with Continuing Education team to review and revise the first draft.
• Incorporate changes to create final curriculum.
• Course outline for students, in standard BBG format
• For each 3-hour session (6 sessions total):
◦ Lesson plan that includes:
-Key terms to define
-Materials and set-up notes
-Rain plan for outdoor activities
◦ PowerPoint presentation with lecture notes
• Quizzes for classes 2-5 and answer keys
• Final exam and answer key
Please submit a hard copy and electronic copy of your proposal that includes:
1. A summary of your recent and relevant projects.
2. A description of your understanding of the project, including identification of major issues, problems, and opportunities concerning the project.
3. A technical description describing how you will carry out the tasks outlined above, including specific detail of how you would work on all elements of this project in collaboration with BBG.
4. A project timeline/work plan including number of meetings and stakeholders.
Submissions are due by 5:00pm on November 23, 2018.
Your proposal should be marked “Urban Garden Maintenance Curriculum.” All submitted material will be kept confidential, but shall become the property of BBG.
Please send submissions to:
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
1000 Washington Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11225