Riverside Park Conservancy is looking for full-time Gardeners to work year-round.
(This is not a seasonal role.)
Riverside Park and the adjacent Riverside Park South, West Harlem Piers Park, and Fort Washington Park contain numerous entrance gardens, woodlands, scenic promenades, ballfields, cafes, and access to six miles of Hudson River waterfront. Riverside Park, one of New York City’s premier waterfront parks, is a Scenic Landmark originally designed by Frederick Law Olmsted.
The Riverside Park Conservancy works in partnership with the City of New York to help restore and maintain the park’s natural areas and gardens by providing full time paid field staff, equipment, and supplies. Since its founding Riverside Park Conservancy has had one of New York City’s largest Park volunteer programs.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Grassroots Volunteer Program. Plan and carry out logistics.
- Lead groups of volunteers. Be comfortable talking in front of a group and giving clear direction; instruct volunteers in proper techniques, a successful project outcome, and the care and use of tools.
- Work closely with and support individual volunteers in the care of their assigned areas, responding to requests for materials and other needs. Coordinate with volunteer department.
- Maintain and advance horticultural and restoration areas, according to Parks Department standards and Conservancy priorities.
- Create and carry out work plans independently. Identify plants and their maintenance needs: in particular native woodland plant species.
- Must have strong time management and communication skills.
- Care for assigned gardens and landscape areas, adhering to and sustaining approved planting plans on appropriate seasonal schedule.
- As required, keep simple records and prepare written reports. May supervise other staff as directed.
- Collect and remove trash and debris; sweep paths and stairs; install and maintain temporary fencing; remove snow and ice; operate and properly maintain tools and equipment.
- Perform other assigned duties.
- Experience/Education: Two years full time experience in horticultural work, including planting and caring for plants, shrubs, trees, and lawns, and general grounds keeping as described above; 30 credits, at least 15 of them in horticulture or a related field, from an accredited college or community college, or education and/or experience equivalent. Familiarity working in a public and outdoor space. Additional areas of specialization such as native plants, restoration experience, education or supervisory experience and herbicide license considered a plus.
- Communication Skills: Must have a professional and positive demeanor and work well with the public and large groups of volunteers. Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaboration: Ability to work as part of a team and willingness to be very hands-on with the performance of a variety of assigned tasks. Must have a can-do attitude. Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and new opportunities.
- Characteristics: The ideal candidate is honest, a team player, a good listener, calm under pressure, and is accountable for their tasks. Strong organizational skills with excellent follow-through to get the job done.
- Values & Culture Fit: Demonstrated passion for Riverside Park’s mission and values
- Working Conditions: Desire to work in a small growing nonprofit organization. Work outdoors, maneuver outdoors (in all weather conditions) on the 300- acre facility’s hills, grass, and gravel path ways. Ability to travel locally for meetings and special events. Flexibility to work during weekends and infrequently evenings as needed for special events. Must have a valid New York State driver’s license. Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com with “Zone Gardener” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Riverside Park Conservancy provides a competitive benefits package, health care and paid time off. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Riverside Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services or any other category protected by law.