Experienced Urban Gardener + 30 Hours/Week
Start Date: Immediate +30 Hours/Week till mid December. Then as-needed January–March Compensation: $25+ an hour commensurate with experience and professional training
Experienced Urban Gardener sought to maintain and plants and gardens in New York City as a member of our garden services crew. This position will be ±30 hours a week and may increase to full time. Applicant should enjoy working in residential gardens, selecting plants at area nurseries, reading planting plans and making plant substitutions as needed. The ability to recognize issues, come up with solutions and follow through is key to being a successful member of the team. The maintenance service requires taking meticulous care of plants and garden spaces, this includes pruning, weeding, mulching, sweeping, cleaning, and tidying. We provide on-the-job on the training, but require previous, paid experience in New York City Residential gardens.
We offer professional development and subsidize continuing education classes for our staff. Our garden portfolio includes Brooklyn and Manhattan townhouse gardens, penthouse terraces, multi level gardens, container planting, urban orchards and edible gardens, apartment building courtyards . Hilary Finn Gardens is a well established and growing company providing landscape design, installation, and horticultural maintenance services. We are looking for employees who are excited about gardening and plants and are natural trouble shooters with a can-do attitude. We offer the opportunity to grow with us.
- Plant Maintenance includes weeding, pruning trees, shrubs and perennials, deadheading, training vines
- Leaving the gardens looking as perfect as possible-this includes cleaning surfaces and sweeping patios and sidewalks
- Select plants from local nurseries and deliver to project sites
- Collaborate with Landscape Designers and Senior Gardener to lay out plants according to planting plan and make plant substitutions when needed
- Lead and train Assistant Gardeners in proper planting techniques and maintenance tasks
- Take concise notes
- Positive attitude , ability to be flexible and a willingness to be able to shift gears to accommodate the unexpected
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and work efficiently
- MUST have minimum three years paid experience New York City residential garden maintenance.*
- Excellent plant identification skills and knowledge of cultural needs for a variety of perennials, shrubs and trees used in ornamental horticulture
- Basic knowledge of common pests, diseases and beneficial insects
- Some formal training preferred but not required
- Valid Driver’s License and comfort driving a cargo van required
- Artistic eye
- Knowledge of native NYC plants and container gardening
- Enthusiasm and interest in horticulture and urban gardening
- Strong and in good physical health
- Neat and tidy appearance
- Willingness to work in inclement weather
- Dependable, punctual, with an excellent work ethic
*NOTE: Our work is very specific. While we appreciate work in parks and community gardens, we have found that experience does not translate to our needs.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Suggested but not required: images of applicant’s container plantings that demonstrate ability to compose and select plants