Start Date: 03/23/2020 Compensation: $15/hour
Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) is a private non-profit cultural institution located on 39 acres of New York City public land in Flushing, New York. In FY19, the Garden served over 263,000 visitors, including 34,856 schoolchildren. A recently completed visitor survey reveals that 45% of visitors speak a language other than English at home. This fact underscores the importance of the mission and the challenges and opportunities QBG faces daily in creating programs, exhibits and landscapes that serve the needs of people who live in and visit one of the most ethnically diverse counties in the nation. The Garden has committed itself to addressing the complex and ever changing needs of its diverse community and to being the place where people, plants and cultures meet.
Admission Cashier/ Greeters at Queens Botanical Garden have the primary responsibility of operating the ticketing booth, selling admission and parking to guests, staffing the reception desk, selling concessions and admitting members and groups. Greeting duties include providing customer service; fielding questions about the Garden, providing wayfinding directions as well as providing information about upcoming programs and events. The cashier must be knowledgeable about the Garden’s admission and parking pricing policies as well as on the benefits of Garden membership.
- Must be knowledgeable of all admission and parking fees, programs, events and rentals scheduled at the Garden
- Sells admission and parking tickets by using a Point of Sale (POS) system
- Completes member, credit card, and cash transactions, distributes correct change and admission tickets
- Ensures the security of all Admission Booth cash and equipment
- Provides excellent customer service, answers questions from guests, and resolves any questions or concerns
- Keeps booth and surrounding area clean and well organized; weeds areas near Admission Booth, sweeps pathways, assures entrances and exits are always well groomed and maintained
- Provides support at special events, rentals, and public programs, including concession sales as instructed
- Supports the store and reception desk, sells membership
Reception Desk responsibilities:
- Greets groups and visitors arriving for classes, tours, meeting and events
- Answers phone inquiries and direct questions to appropriate staff extensions
- Receives and logs delivered packages, communicates with appropriate staff for pickup
- Maintains an attractive, neat appearance of store displays, lobby area, V&A terrace and refreshes literature and signage as needed
- High School diploma, some college preferred
- Customer Service, Administrative and Clerical skills
- Knowledge or ability to learn Point of Sale (POS) cash register; Counterpoint SQL, Microsoft Office; Outlook, Excel, Word etc.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with staff and visitors in high-volume setting
- Excellent verbal communication skills, experience in cash handling
- Ability to perform all tasks required of the position including but not limited to weeding, stocking merchandise, accepting and moving deliveries and/or moving furniture up to 30 lbs.
- Evening and Weekend work required
- Driver’s License preferred
- Assist at special events, may require late evenings
- Second language (Mandarin, Spanish or Korean) preferred but not required
- Must be available to work seasonal festivals including Arbor Fest, Chuseok, Harvest Fest, and others
Please go online to submit your resume and cover letter via our applicant portal. No Phone Calls Please.
Queens Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). The Garden does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, political affiliation, gender expression, mental illness, socioeconomic status or background, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, predisposing genetic characteristic, immigration status, or any other legally protected status. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact Human Resources.
Queens Botanical Garden
Contact Name: Cassandra Schaffa
Website: Apply Online