After School Garden Instructors - Bronx
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: April 17, 2023 Compensation: $24/hr
Beazer’s Garden Workshops has guided urban environmental education programs for over 20 years. We work with Public, Private, and Charter Schools, Community based organizations, and other groups to install and maintain garden spaces and provide educational workshops for students of all ages.
We integrate eco curriculum with day school programming to enhance students’ academic competencies and promote awareness of environmental science to foster and develop an appreciation for nature.
Help us teach kids to know, grow and eat healthy food and guide them in their roles as stewards in the urban environment!
- We are looking for part-time, flexible, and experienced educators to commit to the term of the project. To guide student groups in topics related to ecology, gardening, nutrition, sustainability, green infrastructure, civics/stewardship, and related topics.
- You will represent Beazer’s Garden Workshops as an educator in one of our partner locations.
- You will be responsible for creating and conducting daily garden-based lessons for Middle school students. We provide curriculum direction but encourage educators to develop and utilize their own content and style of teaching.
- Your day starts at the school at 11 am, 3 days a week, where you will perform program-related tasks, garden work, school cafeteria presentations, push-in workshops for student classes, etc for the whole school population. Then you will transition to an afterschool time where you will work with a cohort of 20 students in the afternoon of those 3 days until 5 pm.
- At least 2+ years solid gardening experience, comfortable working outdoors, able to bend and lift 50lbs, comfortable with garden insects and pests, an interest in insects and IPM, a plus. To assist in the maintenance of a school garden.
- Experience developing garden and environmental-related curricula aligned with the Common Core standards for reading and math and Next Generation Science Standards. Curriculum sample required.
- Experience and ability to effectively lead students in garden-based activities and homework help while providing a fun and safe learning environment.
- Maintain student educational records and behavior notes while maintaining confidentiality about children, their families, and other employees outside the school.
- Organized, with effective time management and planning skills; with quick-thinking, problem-solving skills, and the ability to improvise.
- Must enjoy working with children, be creative, and be patient with a good sense of humor. Additional skills in arts, music, yoga, dance, sports, etc. are a plus.
- Must be responsible, with the ability to work independently and in a team, and interact professionally and respectfully with school staff, students, and parents. Spanish speaking is a big plus.
- Must be DOE, DOI, or PETS fingerprinted and able to pass the state background check with clearance to work in the US. Current CPR/First Aid Training, DOE & DOH mandated training plus.
- At least 2+ years of work experience in Childhood Education, NYS Teaching Certification, Associates or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, a plus.
- Administrative skills, and working knowledge of Google Classroom, Padlet, and Social Media are a plus.
Respond to this post with your cover letter, resume, the contact info of three relevant work references, and an age appropriate lesson sample.
Beazer's Garden Workshops
Contact Name: Kimberly Beazer
Website: Apply Online