Assistant Botanical Garden Maintainer (Horticulture)
Start Date: 9/1/2023 Compensation: $41,371-$61,179
Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs, and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
General Statement of Duties and Responsibilities
Under supervision, assists in the general maintenance and repair of botanical garden grounds, equipment, and facilities; performs related work.
Assists the Gardeners in maintaining and caring for living collections in the Garden and Arboretum, performs related work as required.
Examples of Typical Tasks:
May assist in the maintenance and repair of grounds, property, greenhouses, path, sidewalks, and other equipment, structures, and facilities in a botanical garden (which includes snow removal and assistance with garbage pick-up).
Under supervision assists the Gardeners in the following tasks:
- Assists in preparation of soil and seed beds. Receives training to grade, sod, weed, mulch and mow lawns. Assists in repairing damaged planted areas, fertilizing and watering soil. Is trained in pruning and spraying trees, shrubs and plants and assists with integrated pest control.
- Assists in and performs tasks involved in operation and care of hand and power gardening tools and equipment. Makes necessary operating adjustments to same; reports needs for repairs and replacements to supervisor.
- Assists with maintenance of irrigation systems
- Performs simple record keeping and prepares simple written reports.
- Drives vehicles and operates any other motorized equipment incidental to the performance of duties.
- Assists in and performs tasks such as digging up, balling, burlapping and transplanting trees and shrubs. Digs up and transplants sod.
- Assists in and performs tasks involved in maintenance and operations of greenhouses and nurseries.
- May supervise subordinate seasonal employees, as well as volunteers.
- As directed, performs various tasks in connection with cleaning of grounds including removal of snow, trash and other obstructions and painting of fixtures and equipment.
May on occasion meet with public, including school system classes and teachers attending botanical garden instruction programs, and advises on the location of displays, display areas, buildings and exhibits, or on the arrangement and direction for public instruction groups.
Roman type is generally taken directly from the New York City job description. Italics have been added for clarification for Queens Botanical Garden. Some language in this description is taken from other City titles.
Elementary school graduation and one (1) year of full time experience in professional landscaping, or gardening work.
Appointments or Promotions: Appointments to positions of this class are subject to personnel administration policies and procedures of the botanical garden, provided that all appointees must possess at least the qualifications recommended above.
License Requirements: A motor vehicle operator’s license valid in New York State at time of appointment and ability to maintain.
- May involve weekend, evening and emergency (for example, snow removal) work
- Ability to use and operate standard landscaping power and hand tools,
- Performs heavy physical labor on a daily basis in all weather conditions,
- May be required to pass a written and/or practical test,
- Good communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
Strength in several of the following is desired
- Experience and ability to use and perform basic maintenance of lawn mowers, string trimmers and leaf blowers
- Experience and ability to use and perform basic maintenance of chainsaw, backhoe/frontloader, chipper, and other botanical garden tools and equipment
- Experience in operating and maintaining in-ground irrigation systems
Schedule: This is a full-time, Union position. Benefits offered include excellent medical, vision, dental and life insurance, generous PTO, paid holidays, employee discounts, access to the Museums Council pass, which grants free admission to various museums and cultural institutions, pension and other retirement savings plans. This position requires a 40 hours/week Sunday through Thursday 7am-4pm schedule.
Salary Range: Hiring rate: $41,371; Incumbent Rate: $47,577; Maximum: $61,179
For consideration, please submit your resume, cover letter, and any relevant documents via our Career Center.
If you encounter difficulties with uploading documents to the portal, please send via email to email@example.com.
Health & Safety: proof of full Covid-19 vaccination required for employment.
Queens Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). The Garden does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, political affiliation, gender expression, mental illness, socioeconomic status or background, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, predisposing genetic characteristic, immigration status, or any other legally protected status. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact Human Resources via email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 718-886-3800 x 203.