Assistant Director/Planting Fields Arboretum
Start Date: Late Summer/early Fall Compensation: Starting salary is $74,829 + $3,026 location pay per year
Planting Fields is a 409 acre public garden on the north shore of Long Island in Nassau County. It features 2 1/2 acres of greenhouses, 22 themed gardens and nearly 20 historic buildings and structures. The assistant director will be responsible for all horticultural operations including maintenance and development of the arboretum collections. In addition, the assistant director will assist the director in special projects and events throughout the year including the working with the Planting Fields Foundation on the implementation of a newly adopted Cultural Landscape Report, tree evaluation program, various community outreach initiatives and education programs, etc. The assistant director will be responsible for personell management, training, safety and networking for the facility.
- Manage all horticultural Operations for the facility
- Manage all personell in horticultural and park maintenance
- Assist with special projects, events and programs
- Perform regular training and oversee safety protocols for the facility
- Engage and be active in the horticultural community to help support the facility
- Assist with he implementation of the Cultural Landscape Report
- Assist the director with various admistrative duties and initiatives
- Other details on responsibilities listed above
Candidates will need a bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany, or closely related field and at least four years experience in the planning and maintenance of an arboretum, including two years in a management capacity. A Masters degree may substitute for one year of field experience.
NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
Contact Name: Vincent A. Simeone