Assistant Farm Manager
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: April 1, 2023 Compensation: $35/hr.
About Oko Farms: Oko Farms, is an Aquaponics Farm and Educational Organization in Brooklyn, NY committed to environmental awareness and the promotion of practices towards food sovereignty. We believe that increasing access to knowledge of and engagement with aquaponic farming will directly contribute to building communities’ self-determination. We operate NYC’s largest and only publicly accessible outdoor aquaponics farm. We cultivate a variety of freshwater fish and vegetables in a recirculating aquatic ecosystem which offers access to sustainable agriculture, all while conserving water.
Mission: At Oko Farms we practice, promote, and educate diverse communities on aquaponics as a sustainable farming method that mitigates the impact of climate change and food insecurity, centers water conservation in food cultivation, and facilitates critical connection between NYC residents and the environment.
About the Position: Oko Farms is seeking a Part-time Assistant Farmer to help manage and support programming for our 10,000 square foot aquaponics farm in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The Assistant Manager will report to the Lead Farmer and Director.
What We're Offering:
- A progressive work environment as part of a small team
- An hourly rate of $35/hr
- Access to our farm vegetables, herbs and flowers
- Opportunity to grow with the organization and become a full time employee
Oko Farms actively promotes an atmosphere of civility, warmth and mutual respect towards individual differences and embraces an inclusive and equitable working environment. We value a diverse workplace that is reflective of the communities that engage with Oko Farms. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+ individuals, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Oko Farms requires that all staff be fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Oko Farms adheres to New York State requirements and acknowledges those may change over time.
Support day-to-day management of the outdoor aquaponics, greenhouse aquaponics system and soil beds including: fish care, water quality management and aquaponics system maintenance; plant propagation, cultivating, harvesting and packing of farm crops for client pickup; managing seeds, fish feed and other farm supplies; implementing IPM Practices and Food Safety Protocols; record keeping and data collection; infrastructure projects and maintenance; supporting farm interns, assisting with public programs including farm tours, workshops etc., and farm winterizing as the season winds down.
This is a public-facing role, with interaction with Oko Farms’ team members, community members and visitors from all corners of the world. It is also a role that involves working collaboratively with Oko Farms Founder, Director and Farm Manager.
The Assistant Farm Manager should be personable, diligent, organized, and an excellent communicator. The ideal candidate:
- Demonstrates good judgment and helps keep Oko Farms’ culture of respect and inclusion;
- Takes pride in keeping a clean, well-kept, farm and in completing all daily tasks;
- Demonstrates initiative in tending to the farm and engaging the public.
- Work alongside the Farm Manager and Director in crop planning, rotation, propagation, and cultivation
- Assist in keeping related records and data (e.g. update planting logs, water quality parameters, fish feeding etc).
- Assist the Farm Manager with other farm-related activities, including: propagation, planting and cultivation, and keeping related records and data. Manage disease and pest concerns, maintain aquaponics + soil beds, set up and maintain irrigation, and upkeep of the aquaponics system.
- Harvest, wash, and pack vegetables, fruits, herbs and flowers for orders.
- Maintain Food Safety protocols during produce harvests.
- Support the management of interns on all field duties, farm practices and research.
- Work with Farm Manager to create daily task-lists.
- Support with farm tours and work to create a welcoming and educational environment for visitors.
- Communicate proactively about issues, projects or concerns.
- Is familiar with the basics of aquaponics and humane fish management;
- Comfortable with basic plumbing and/or construction
- Has undergone training in organic or low-input vegetable production, and has at least 2 seasons of relevant experience with organic production farming (or equivalent)
- Ability to follow an annual crop plan and maintain farm records
- Familiar with Afro-indigenous foods and regenerative farming practices
- Able to work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule
- Has experience working with both youth and adults; and familiar with the popular education model
- Is able to work independently and collaboratively with other team members
- Is organized and professional, responds to emails in a timely fashion, can navigate Google Drive, record and enter data into spreadsheets, etc.
- Is committed to administrative task follow-through including; email response, google drive maintenance, organized spreadsheets, and other relevant data
- Comfortable working outdoors in any weather
- Is able to lift 30 lbs repeatedly, and to squat, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “First & Last Name: Assistant Farm Manager Application”
- Include a cover letter and resume
- Please include the following in your cover letter
- What about Oko Farms’ mission + vision encouraged you to apply?
- In what ways do you and your experiences make you the right person for this role?
- Please expand on what previous experiences you hold that makes you the right person for our team.
- Applications will be accepted through 3/1/2023
Oko Urban Farms, Inc.
Contact Name: Yemi Amu