Assistant Garden Manager
Brooklyn Grange, the world’s leading soil-based rooftop farm business, is seeking a focused, positive, hard-working gardener to help maintain our off-site, client based green roofs and urban landscapes. The Design/Build Maintenance division is charged with the care of varied sites that include terraces, in ground gardens, tree pits, indoor green walls and gardens, green roofs, and edible landscapes. The Assistant Garden Manager is an aesthetically driven, diligent worker who can maintain and execute Brooklyn Grange’s standards for landscaped indoor and outdoor gardens. Responsibilities include carrying out varied gardening duties, including but not limited to watering, pruning, weeding, soil cultivation, mulching, lawn maintenance, irrigation repair, bed preparation and planting. The role also includes leading a small crew of Gardeners or Crew Members at times. The Assistant Garden Manager is charged with the care of varied sites that include terraces, indoor gardens and green walls, green roofs, ground level yards, and edible landscapes, as well as various administrative duties including scheduling, record keeping, plant sourcing, and some client communication. Applicants should be comfortable working independently and must be prompt and clear when communicating with all Design/Build team members. Additionally, applicants should be able to keep organized systems in place, including impeccable workspaces and organized records of tool and plant inventory, and a daily log of tasks and garden observations, among other things. This position requires early mornings and frequent physical labor in varied weather conditions, as well as travel to varied client gardens across New York City and Long Island. At times the Assistant Garden Manager will be required to respond to time-sensitive correspondence both from clients and fellow team members. Applicants must be adaptable to varied client and team needs, settings, and systems. A team player, the ideal candidate demonstrates good judgment and maturity in leading a team, motivates by example, and helps keep Brooklyn Grange’s culture of respect and inclusion, while maintaining high quality, professionally cultivated green spaces.
- Plant maintenance and cultivation of a range of urban landscapes including but not limited to green roofs, meadow landscapes, container gardens, terrace gardens, green walls, street tree beds, edible landscapes, and in ground gardens.
- Oversee and execute all aspects of quality control and successful upkeep of garden sites — planting, pest and disease management, pruning, deadheading, weeding, mulching, irrigating, holiday decor, and cleaning/sweeping.
- Help train, support, and oversee Gardeners
- Coordinate with the Design/Build team on plant selection, plant orders, van use, and other logistical matters.
- Undertake planning, email coordination, and administrative tasks related to clients and sites
- Participate in plant runs to Long Island nurseries, facilitating substitute plant selections as-needed.
- Uphold Brooklyn Grange’s standards for respect, professionalism, efficiency, and community at all times.
- Regularly communicate with department management and team.
- Help maintain and contribute to the upkeep of Brooklyn Grange’s facilities spaces, including our rooftop farms, tool storage, plant nursery, and vehicles.
- Assist with other administrative, onsite and facilities support as-needed.
- Has 2+ years of experience in landscape maintenance or other relevant areas.
- Holds a strong sense of Eastern plants of zones 4 through 7b including: plant ID’s, growth habits, bloom times, training requirements, and preferred soil types.
- Has an understanding of irrigation system management.
- Is a doer: upon finishing a task, will begin undertaking another; thinks big picture while also being attentive to the details.
- Looks ahead to determine what needs to get done. Can multitask and prioritize workload.
- Is energetic, eager to learn new skills, and has a great work ethic.
- Is punctual and time efficient, can work early mornings, and is responsible.
- Is collaborative and a natural motivator, can work alongside and support team, and leads by example.
- Is also comfortable working alone, and demonstrates initiative.
- Is adaptable to a variety of clients and settings, and at all times demonstrates professionalism, respect for client spaces, and good judgment.
- Is comfortable working on rooftops, near ledges, and at other heights, while wearing appropriate safety gear.
- Has strong oral and written communication skills.