We are a well-established boutique landscape design firm, based in Brooklyn, seeking a vibrant, talented, and motivated horticulturalist to join, and more importantly, GROW with our team. The ideal candidate will take advantage of the opportunity to work within a growing business, acquiring invaluable experience on unique and exciting projects. Our firm’s designs incorporate the use of a broad plant palate, providing the right candidate an exciting learning environment. We are really looking for someone eager to expand their existing knowledge.
This position offers a unique opportunity to work closely with a team, learning the finer intricacies of gardening in New York City. We are seeking a candidate who aims to gain an appreciation for unique projects, and diverse plant material; and to exhibit and grow their creativity. This position offers the ability to work with indoor and outdoor plants, irrigation systems, container gardens, backyards, roof and terrace gardens.
- Impeccable work ethic, including, but not limited to: adhering to a schedule, keeping appointments with clients in a timely manner, following instructions, abiding by company policies and procedures
- Perform general maintenance duties and seasonal landscaping work under the direction of a Senior Gardener, including: garden openings, cut-backs, pruning, clean-ups, transplanting, leaf removal, planter preparation
- Care for diverse plant materials such as trees, shrubs, climbers, perennials, annuals, herbs, vegetables, grasses, bulbs, and green roofs
- Installation of new projects, including: loading and unloading materials, preparing planters and planting areas, transplanting a variety of plants and trees, etc
- Inspection of plant health, pest issues, and irrigation monitoring at each site- including using our reporting system and record keeping of each site. Much of the reporting and communication occurs through the regular use of computers and smart phones.
- Keep inventory and perform maintenance on tools and supplies
- Maintain a professional demeanor and appearance to interact with a high-end clientele
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
- Formal education and/or professional experience in the field of horticulture and willingness to expand their knowledge
- Irrigation knowledge and experience, or a willingness to dive in and learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiastic to work on unique projects in the NYC area
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team, and independently/under the supervision of a Senior Gardener
- Meticulous and detail oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout each and every site
- In good health and physical condition, with the ability to work in all types of weather. Ability to lift at least 50 lbs, climb ladders and access sites via cranes
- Demonstrated passion for gardening!
Assistant Gardener (with driving duties)
- assist with garden projects from small plantings to large installations
- helping with irrigation
- demo and removal of plant material
This is a physical position and will require the candidate to lift 50+ lbs. Driving will be part of the responsibilities, with the ability to drive a cargo van and/ 16’ trucks in NYC. Desired candidate will be reliable, on time, a team player, and have the ability to think on their feet.
Please send resume and a brief cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: Apply Online