Founded in 1965, Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades, in the Riverdale section of the
The gardens and landscapes include: flower garden, wild garden, aquatic garden, alpine house, herb and dry gardens, tropical house, cactus and succulent house, collections of South African bulbs and other winter-blooming plants, woodlands, significant trees, and extensive displays of summer containers.
- Minimum one year experience of sound horticultural practice
- Familiarity with the operation of power and hand tools
- A valid driver’s license
- Willingness to work outdoors under all weather conditions
- Ability to work alone and with others in a team-based organization
- Certification as pesticide applicator is desirable
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Benefits, Salary and Schedule:
- This position is under a collective bargaining agreement.
- Full-time; Non-exempt
- 5 days a week. 35 hours a week; Weekend rotation and split days off
- Annual Salary: $42,146
- Benefits: major medical, dental, vision, paid time off, 401k with a pension plan, and life insurance
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Horticulture, and under general supervision of a Gardener, the position requires sound horticultural practices in a multitude of gardening situations and related work. It involves hard physical labor throughout the year. The gardener assistant should be trained to maintain and develop gardens and greenhouse collections under varying levels of supervision and degrees of difficulty: including, planting, cultivating, propagating, watering, fertilizing, pruning, mulching, pest and weed control and lawn maintenance.
Send resume and cover letter in a single PDF document to Louis Bauer, Senior Director of Horticulture at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state Assistant Gardener in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. No calls, please.
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive environment for all employee.