Start Date: Late March 2020 Compensation: $20.00-$25.00 per hour
Staghorn NYC is a landscape design/build powerhouse looking to expand our team! Our firm works in both Manhattan and Brooklyn in a mixture of townhouse backyards and rooftop gardens. We are currently hiring an Assistant Gardener who has a passion for working in and creating private outdoor spaces in our gorgeous, challenging city. This is a full-time seasonal position beginning in late March 2020 through August 2020.
The Assistant Gardener will report to the Lead Gardener, and will be responsible for aiding in the plant installation portion of each project as well as working on garden maintenance visits.
Responsibilities include driving the Staghorn van between work sites, installing plantings, performing garden maintenance (weeding, pruning, lawn care, mulching, etc), and installing and maintaining basic irrigation systems. This person will also help the rest of the team keep the Garden area of the shop tidy and organized, aid in running errands for tools, plants, and materials, and also help maintain van and tool cleanliness.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of relevant ornamental gardening experience (ideally in NYC)
- Detail oriented, with an incredibly high standard for garden maintenance and cleanliness
- Knowledge of irrigation systems or a willingness to learn
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. multiple times over the course of a grossly hot day and not cry
- Valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record
- Professional, fun, responsible, and respectful
- *Fussy-morning people need not apply - we’re dead serious about this (PS- If that’s you, you’ll hate this industry.)*
Hours & Compensation
- This is a full-time seasonal W-2 position (beginning late March through early August)
- Competitive hourly rate commensurate with experience (typically $20-$25 per hour)
- Transportation reimbursement
- Monday - Friday, typically 8AM-4PM (expect overtime and associated pay rate during the busy season)
- No weekends - ever!
- Paid National Holidays: Memorial Day, Independence Day
- Lot’s of surprise coffees and sweet treats, and occasional free lunches and happy hours
Please send your resume and cover letter to info at staghornnyc dot com with Assistant Gardener in the subject. Mention your favorite season and why in your cover letter, or you won’t be considered.
No phone calls please, and thank you.